Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 1:10:58 PM EDT
Just bought the gun loaded up a clip slap in up into the gun with bolt closed pulled back and cocked it but did so rather slow instead of letting it snap back into place it looks like the bullet jambs into place I'm afraid to let the bolt snap back into place because I dontwant the bullet to fire off.

As you can see I'm a complete newbie that has only own hand guns. I have 28 bullets in the 30 clip. Just to make my life easier.

I've read the directions they say not to ride the bolt back but I dont want  a miss fire.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
do not ride it foreword. Pull back and let it fly. I do however point it in a safe direstion when I do it.
I have never had any trouble doing that.

Welcome to the boards
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
magazine not clip
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just bought the gun loaded up a clip slap in up into the gun with bolt closed pulled back and cocked it but did so rather slow instead of letting it snap back into place it looks like the bullet jambs into place I'm afraid to let the bolt snap back into place because I dontwant the bullet to fire off.

As you can see I'm a complete newbie that has only own hand guns. I have 28 bullets in the 30 clip. Just to make my life easier.

I've read the directions they say not to ride the bolt back but I dont want  a miss fire.

Thanks

I'm hoping you were at the range when you did this.

It's not real smart to chamber a round when you know very little about your new rifle.

Don't ride the charging handle. Pull it all the way back and let it go forward by itself.

I'm worried about you for two reasons.

1) You are playing with something you admitedly know very little about. Not smart.

2) You are calling your magazine a clip.

HS1
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome sidewinder04- they are gonna bust yoyr balls at first.  It seems the majority of dudes posting on this site always knew what they were talking about.  But i am like you and are just here to learn.  Stay thick skinned.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#6]
High strung,
I read the manual up down, I have experience with hand guns and the functionality that applies to them. No one I know owns any type of AR.

I wanted to see all the functions of the gun with out shooting it at the range. I'm here looking to talk to some people with a ton of experience with this gun. I've done the search button found a ton of info. A lot of it is hard to piece together due to the terminology that is given but for the most part information.

So does your bullet look like its going to get jambed if you ride the bolt back? Or does this just happen to me?

Trust me I hate when newbie's invade some of my favorite forums asking dumb questions its odd being on the other side of the fence.

Thanks Tiggy good to know I'm not the only one feeling like an idiot.

Just looking to do things the right way before I make a habit of doing things the wrong way.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#7]
1) Insert MAGAZINE
2) Pull back charging handle all the way to the rear
3) LET GO OF THE THING
4) Nice, "cacheeeng" sound.
5) Round is in chamber

Riding the charging handle is asking for a jam.

Round WILL have a small dent in the primer. That's normal. No, it won't go off, unless you chamber the same round many times.

Alternatively, lock the bolt back, insert magazine, then hit the bolt release lever (on the left side of receiver).

When you finally shoot it, you'll hear a "SPROING" sound coming from the buttstock. That's normal.

P.S.

"Clips" are small metal strips used to load "magazines" which are the boxes with the spring inside. Sorry about that, but as you have noticed, we are fairly anal about that here.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Only time I ride the charge handle when its unloaded?

Just rack that baby and let it do all the work
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]
An alternative method is to pull the charging handle back and hold the bolt catch which will lock the bolt to the rear of the rifle. Place your mag in, seat it, than hit that bolt release and feel that round chamber!

Not as satisfying as just pulling on the charging handle, but according to my drill sergeant a few years ago is more reliable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I hope you didnt file down the fireing pin.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Great info thank you guys. One question I tried the bolt open application. With out a "magazine" in the gun I pulled the bolt open inserted the mag. but the bolt release mechinism has no tension on it like the bolt is not cocked.

Do you have to insert a empty clip pull charging handle and then insert a loaded clip?

Thank again for all of your help!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#12]
just activate the boltcatch lever from the outside with your finger if you want to lock it back like that.

and yes the boltcatch spring is under very little tension.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Read the manual. Dont skim over it.
If you read, it tells you how to lock the bolt back using the bolt catch without using an empty magazine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, thanks again guys next time I'll post a new topic I'll have some eye candy for you...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#15]
since i live in California i have had to build mine from stripped lower and because of this now know the gun very well.

you may what to try to field strip the gun before you fire it, that way you will know how to clean it and you may learn how things work. also if you wanted to learn by playing around then why are you using live ammo?? use a snapcap next time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"Clips" are small metal strips used to load "magazines" which are the boxes with the spring inside. Sorry about that, but as you have noticed, we are fairly anal about that here.

A "Clip" is what holds the cartridges in some rifles with internal magazines such as a M1 Garand.   I can't believe that so many people give a guy unnecessary crap about using the term "clip" in referring to a magazine in his very first post on the board.   Nice way to welcome a guy....
It might not be internet M4 Tactical Operator speak correct to use the term clip, but I have associated with those with much more experience and skills in weapon handling and use than the nomenclature nazis have and many use the two terms interchangably without giving it a second thought .  All I am asking is to lighten up a bit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#17]
IBTND
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IBTND

Unlike my comments on nomenclature harassment I entirely support giving someone crap about playing with live rounds and especially not even being at the range as   it may save serious injury or death.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I wanted to see how the bullet went into the chamber so I just cocked the gun back and the bullet only semi popped up into the chamber. so I pushed the bullet back into the mag and realeased it so the bolt wouldnt come slam the back of the primer at a odd angle.

You guys make it sound like I was unsafe with the gun. While I was being over protective and should have just let the bolt snap back in place.

I saw read the directions not to ride the bolt back into place I never got that far as the bullet never fully got up into the chamber. SO I STOPPED to the mag out and then begain to type my question about it.

I'm trying to be very carefully about this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well, I wanted to see how the bullet went into the chamber ......

Curiosity killed the cat    
Just go to the range and very carefully shoot it.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#21]
True.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well, I wanted to see how the bullet went into the chamber so I just cocked the gun back and the bullet only semi popped up into the chamber. so I pushed the bullet back into the mag and realeased it so the bolt wouldnt come slam the back of the primer at a odd angle.

You guys make it sound like I was unsafe with the gun. While I was being over protective and should have just let the bolt snap back in place.

I saw read the directions not to ride the bolt back into place I never got that far as the bullet never fully got up into the chamber. SO I STOPPED to the mag out and then begain to type my question about it.

Please, please, please read and take to heart what has been said above regarding safety.  Understand that if the worst happens, there is a very good chance that the round will not be contained in the room you are in - or even in your home.

Playing with live rounds (and that is exactly what chambering one "just to see how it works" is) is not a good idea.

Some of the comments may seem harsh.  But they are born of experience - and none of us wants to see you have a negligent discharge.

Also, as a newbie, you need to "pay your dues" by learning the mantra of safe firearms handling, as set forth by the guru himself:

The Four Rules of Firearms Handling
by Jeff Cooper

Rule 1
ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again.

Rule 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Rule 3
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

Rule 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

Don't think I am trying to bust your balls.  I just don't want to be reading about you in the paper.

We were all new once, and just about all of us needed a whack upside the head to get into the proper mindset for handling firearms.

Matt
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, I wanted to see how the bullet went into the chamber ......

Curiosity killed the cat   he

Or the cat's neighbor...

Matt
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#24]
For the guys staying on topic and feeding me usefull feedback thank you.
I'm curious where does it say in my post I was in my home doing this? I was actually down the road at a sandpit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I was worried about the same thing when I first got mine.  Then I learned how to operate it properly by spending waaaay too much time on ARFCOM.  I used the bolt catch method, until I learned how to properly release the charging handle.  The bolt needs to slam home with full power to chamber the round.  I still prefer the bolt catch method, but use both.  
You could also use this as an opportunity to learn to use the forward assist to help close the bolt.

I only ride the charging handle to slowly close the bolt on an empty chamber, many people here feel the same way, we don't want the bolt to slam home on an empty chamber even though it really doesn't hurt anything.  

Practice, and enjoy your new bushy, its one of the finest available at any price.  Be careful about mod fever, its going to hit pretty soon, and then before long your rifle is going to go through a lot of changes!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top