Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 5:13:53 AM EDT
let me introduce myself...

Just bought a used Olympic Arms MFR.  I'm new to the AR, but spent some time with M-16's in the USMC.  Picked it up yesterday, for what I feel was a good price, got 2-30 round mags, the factory 10 rounder, hard case, and a Simmons Red Dot.  Already ran 20 rounds through this a.m., and it cycled flawlessly.  Haven't really seen much on the Olympic Arms rifles on this site.

Only thing I don't like is the rear sight is windage only, no elevation, but I guess I can play with the front.  I'm joining a local gun club, and the range only goes out to 300 yds, so that isn't a big concern.

Any comments, good or bad?

I look forward to all the discussions...

Smith in Pittsburgh
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#1]
search olympic

welcome to the site
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on your new weapon. Sounds like you have an A1 upper receiver. Zero IAW the TM for the 25m zero and you should be fine shooting at your ranges 300m lane.

Oh, and not trying to start a shit storm, but Oly’s are not talked about much around here because some folks don’t care for them. I had one and have mixed feelings about them. If yours functions fine then drive on!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I just wanted to say WELCOME!

Sorry, I have no personal experiences with Olympic Arms.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the site. Just use the search function for information and threads on Olympic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my Oly.  It's more than likely that you will like yours.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are a couple pictures of my Olympic I got a couple months ago.  A close up then a pic of a buddy of mine shooting it at the local range.  The Olympic I got was inexpensive but I have had problems with the windage being so far off that I can barely correct for it.  The windage is all the way to the right and it still shoots just a tad to the left.  Other than that I've had about 750 rounds through it with no problems at all.  No misfires, jams, FTF or anything.  Nice and smooth.  I only use it for recreation shooting at the range and on some land my father-in-law has so it suits me fine and does the job for the price:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6783/ar15closeoutdoors2506dubbedlow.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7175/ar15rayback12906resize9ix.jpg
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here are a couple pictures of my Olympic I got a couple months ago.  A close up then a pic of a buddy of mine shooting it at the local range.  The Olympic I got was inexpensive but I have had problems with the windage being so far off that I can barely correct for it.  The windage is all the way to the right and it still shoots just a tad to the left.  Other than that I've had about 750 rounds through it with no problems at all.  No misfires, jams, FTF or anything.  Nice and smooth.  I only use it for recreation shooting at the range and on some land my father-in-law has so it suits me fine and does the job for the price:

img122.imageshack.us/img122/6783/ar15closeoutdoors2506dubbedlow.jpg

img130.imageshack.us/img130/7175/ar15rayback12906resize9ix.jpg

That's an interesting finish on those receivers. Have you ever thought about trying to re-index your barrel to correct the over-windage problem?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quib...
No I haven't but I know that's what I need to do.  If you look down the sights you can tell that the front sights are not 100% completely vertical.  It does need adjusting.  I need to figure out how to do that without distroying my toy.  I was in the Army yadda yadda yadda but we never had to make adjustments like that to our weapons.  
-Todd
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quib...
No I haven't but I know that's what I need to do.  If you look down the sights you can tell that the front sights are not 100% completely vertical.  It does need adjusting.  I need to figure out how to do that without distroying my toy.  I was in the Army yadda yadda yadda but we never had to make adjustments like that to our weapons.  
-Todd

Start here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=239521  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=269903
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
let me introduce myself...

Just bought a used Olympic Arms MFR.  I'm new to the AR, but spent some time with M-16's in the USMC.  Picked it up yesterday, for what I feel was a good price, got 2-30 round mags, the factory 10 rounder, hard case, and a Simmons Red Dot.  Already ran 20 rounds through this a.m., and it cycled flawlessly.  Haven't really seen much on the Olympic Arms rifles on this site.

Only thing I don't like is the rear sight is windage only, no elevation, but I guess I can play with the front.  I'm joining a local gun club, and the range only goes out to 300 yds, so that isn't a big concern.

Any comments, good or bad?

I look forward to all the discussions...

Smith in Pittsburgh

Welcome!!  If you need specific OLY questions answered try this link.  Full of OLY fans and helpful info..

http://www.oa2.org/index.php

Like someone said, not too many OLY fans around here.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Like someone said, not too many OLY fans around here.

[oddball] Oh we're here man, we're here, but we don't talk much around here about how we dig our Oly's because the resulting negative waves just bring us down [/oddball].
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top