Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2013 10:09:36 AM EDT
Good day guys, I have recently got into hunting and determined that a 300 blkout round is a great way to go specific to hunting.  I have an AR already chambered 223/556 but it just doesn't have the punch that I've come to understand is better to have than not to have.  I've come up with a list of questions that maybe some of you have encountered or may just know.

1 -Would it make more sense to just buy a 300 upper and switch up when I go hunting or buy a whole new rifle?[/li]

2 -If I were to go the buying a new rifle route, one of my co-workers recommended a diamondback (he says it will shoot 223/556/300 with the same bolt??) Is this a good choice for the 300 AR?[/li]

3 -What is a reasonable price for a quality (budget?) 300 upper only?[*]

4 -Is 850 reasonable for the Diamondback brand mentioned earlier?[*]

Any other knowledge you could impart on me would be appreciated.  Thank you for your time

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#1]
1.) I would just get a new upper
2.) 300blk and 5.56/.223 use the same bolt in every rifle. The only difference these calibers have as far as the gun is concerned is the barrel.
As for questions 3 and 4 I'm really not too familiar with Diamondback so I will let someone else take it from here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#2]
In response to question number 2.

While it is true the bolt is the same, 300 is made out of a .223 case, the diameter of bullet is different. You would need a different barrel.

Edit: .224 vs .308
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I found one of my answers

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/230350-anyone-have-experience-diamondback-ar-s.html

In case anyone else comes here with the same question
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top