Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 6:47:30 AM EDT
I went to change my collapsable stock to the fixed stock on my CAR, all of a sudden I had two extra pieces that just fell out.  One is a spring, maybe 3/16" round 1/2" tall and the other part is a hollow cylindrical piece about 1/4" round 1/2" tall with a little post on the top.  I don't know where in the hell they came from.  Can someone help me with where these go or lead me to a parts diagram?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
look in the back part of your lower receiver behind the trigger guard where you thread in the stock.
there will be a little hole just big enough for the nipple and spring.

press the nipple down and thread on the butt stock just enough so that the lip of the stock holds the nipple in place but not covers it up..
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
If the stock is on, how do I know if it's not covering it up?  Oh, and the spring, does it fit inside the nipple or on top?  I'm sorry, but I really do appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The spring goes in the hole and the buffer retainer goes on top of the spring.

Screw the receiver extension in until the lip of it holds the buffer retainer in place. The lip of the receiver extension will just sit over the rear edge of the buffer retainer enough to keep it from popping up.

The purpose of the buffer retainer is to keep the buffer in the receiver extension when the upper and lower are seperated for cleaning. The fact is the rifle can run fine with the buffer retainer but when you pop the top of clean the rifle, SPROING! The buffer will come shooting out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
First off make sure the gun is unloaded.
Close bolt on empty chamber.
Push out rear takedown pin to tilt upper out of the way.
Look in the back of the lower where the buffer tube threads into the lower.
In the bottom of the threads there is a hole these two parts, spring and buffer detent, go into.
If they will not go you need to back the buffer tube up in the threads by turning it counter-clockwise from the back until the parts have room to fall into the hole.
Spring first then detent, nipple pointing up.
While turning buffer tube clockwise to advance it in the threads use your thumb or something to hold a little pressure down on the detent so you can advance the tube up to the nipple on top of the detent, but not quite touching the nipple on top.
The buffer tube actually hold the spring and detent in the hole.

Hope this helps.
Clayman  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:04:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, it's all back together, hope I did it right.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
i you didn't the buffer and spring will not stay in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not right, I need help and the previous diagram doesn't show it clearly enough.  I put the spring in the hole and then keeper.  They both fit in the hole, below the surface, they don't come up enough to go above the surface.  Is my spring wore out?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
ok, proper sizes are
spring is 0.9" long and 0.18" dia.  
the little nipple thing is .650" long and 0.250 od,  .0185 id,  

sound about right?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds right except for the length of the spring.  Mine is maybe .5 to .625" long.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Your spring might have gotten screwed up.  You can:
1) get a new one
2) stretch out the old one
3) put something in the hole to take up some spring space.

I would do #1.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So do we.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I stretched it out but it isn't enough so I will hit the gun & knife show tomorrow.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#14]
well hell short of a longer spring your screwed.
since you have nothing to loose i would stretch the spring.
not the full .9" but you can try to stretch it out a little at a one coil at a time

the hole in the lower is about is .650 deep
the spring needs to be stretched about 2 tenths of an inch.
or twice it's length.  

ed to say buy two and an extra long skinny spring that holds the rear take down pin in place.  (i am always bending mine)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#15]
i will send you a new buffer retainer and spring if ya gimme yer address
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do we.

What is that supposed to mean???
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do we.

It means that you obviously were not aware of the parts that were involved with a lower receiver and you attempted to do work on it that you were not prepared for...........see where I am going?

By no means am I trying to slam you, but if your first response is "hmmm.......what's this?" it goes along the lines of the woman who sued Winnebago for her accident (and won 1.7 million and a new Winnebago) after she set the cruise control and got up from the steering wheel to go make a sandwich.    
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to know that someone can come and get help here and feel good about it.  You say you aren't trying to slam me, to me it does.  Thanks Buddy.  You're a credit to the board and you made a newbie feel welcome, NOT.  To the others that helped me, thank you, I really appreciate it.  This does not include you 223.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do we.

It means that you obviously were not aware of the parts that were involved with a lower receiver and you attempted to do work on it that you were not prepared for...........see where I am going?

By no means am I trying to slam you, but if your first response is "hmmm.......what's this?" it goes along the lines of the woman who sued Winnebago for her accident (and won 1.7 million and a new Winnebago) after she set the cruise control and got up from the steering wheel to go make a sandwich.    

Please  
give it a rest...
the guy did something by himself and learned from the experience.  He should be commended for stepping up and trying to fix the problem himself.  Not slammed for not knowing all the language or how all the parts interwork.  He didn’t blame anyone  just asked for help and solved the issue.  Sure he needs to build up a stripped lower or two and destroy a couple trigger safety groups to fully understand how everything works but give him a break for effort.  it's easy to see once you know what to look for and get it in your head how it's supose to work.  when it's broken to start with sometimes you can't see the solution.  

good job bro.  hang with us and we will get you to build a complete AR from scratch      
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Glad to know that someone can come and get help here and feel good about it.  You say you aren't trying to slam me, to me it does.  Thanks Buddy.  You're a credit to the board and you made a newbie feel welcome, NOT.  To the others that helped me, thank you, I really appreciate it.  This does not include you 223.

You will thank me when the next time you try to modify your AR15 and remember you did not have any knowledge of what you were doing .  Being a newbie is one thing, but being a newbie and attempting to do work a potentially dangerous piece of gear that you are no way prepared for is a danger to yourself and others.  Hey you may not like me, but you will remember what I said.  I would rather have you shooting safe then having you like me.............
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks alot HK.  Means alot.  I admit, I made a mistake, but how do you learn?  From your mistakes.  You're right, I asked for help, I'm not too proud to admit it.  The help you guys offered was great.  It shows me what a great bunch of people there are here.  I will shoot my 15 for the first time on Saturday, then comes the tear down for cleaning.  I think I will have my Corp brother to help me with some instruction.  Again, HK, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's not right, I need help and the previous diagram doesn't show it clearly enough.  I put the spring in the hole and then keeper.  They both fit in the hole, below the surface, they don't come up enough to go above the surface.  Is my spring wore out?

This pic isn't the greatest but it's all I have.  It should like this when you're done.  I lost my spring the first time I pulled I pulled my stock off.  ****sproing****  he
http://boredom-inc.com/pin.jpg
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:00:29 AM EDT
[#23]
thanks Vegas, that's what I needed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I first found out about the buffer retainer and spring when I changed my first stock and the 2 parts went flying across the room! That was the first and last time I made the mistake of not holding onto them when I was removing or installing a stock. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I first found out about the buffer retainer and spring when I changed my first stock and the 2 parts went flying across the room! That was the first and last time I made the mistake of not holding onto them when I was removing or installing a stock. Lesson learned. hr

Don't let 223 see this, he won't let you forget it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I went home at lunch and tried the ink pen spring.  It worked perfect.  I will use it until I get a new spring for it.  That was a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a minor problem with a receiver extension I installed (the retainer was slipping past the lip of the tube after a few dozen rounds) and ended up smashed the spring and retainer. I ordered 3 springs and 3 retainers from Brownells just to have as spares.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top