Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2003 7:42:13 AM EDT
I have a standard 20" bushmaster A1 HBAR, and now that I can finally print 1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards I feel I finally "deserve" to buy a scope. (Wanted to learn to use the irons first.)

First, my requirements:
I want to buy one of those nice, short looking scopes to mount on top of the carrying handle. I need to retain use of the standard Iron Sites. I would like a scope that can do CQB work (geared somewhat towards target acquisition), but can also take shots out to 300 yards at a man sized target. I'd like to be able to shoot MOA (Even if the gun can't...) at 100 yards as well, but I am not too concerned about true long range accuracy. I won't be doing any benchrest competitions with this; mostly want some for shoter range (50-300 yards) paper killing, and SHTF CQB type scenarios. I also enjoy hunting cans and bottles, of course.
I know the 20" isn't good for CQB type work, but I will be building another 16" AR-15 at some point. While I will be using this scope with my current rifle for awhile, it's really that rifle I'm buying it for.

Now, that all being said, I have some questions that I couldn't seem to find answered.

First, mounts. What is all this ARMs stuff? Do they fit Weaver-style rings, or what? Is quality important? The $20 aluminum scope mount from bushmaster's site seems to be what I want, but what am I loosing at that price point?
I also might want to install a forward pistol grip at some point, so should I consider one of those railed hand guard type things? Wish someone had an FAQ on mounts and rings for the AR-15.

Second, what is this wiz-bang BAC things everyone keeps talking about with ACOGs?
I was looking at the EOTech Model 552 HDS Sight on the bushmaster website, and I could probably spring for that. But I don't understand what all the fancy HUD stuff does that a regular scope can't. Does it have a ballistics and trajectory computer in it, or what? I guess my real question is, what the hell do all these fancy ACOGs and EOtech scopes do, and why the heck do I want one? I thought a 'red-dot' scope was just a scope with a red-dot projected on the reticule...

As for the scope, I very much want to keep the price below $400, less if possible. I am seriously considering the Aimpoint Comp, and I have seem them with 2x instead of 1x magnification. Would this fit my distance requirements and still be acceptable for CQB? Does this scope work well in low-light situations?

Anyway, thanks for any help. Any other information you would like to add would be most appreciated, as would any links to primers, faqs, etc.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top