Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 7:07:44 PM EDT
I am buying my first rifle ever and its going to be a AR 15.  I have decided that it will be a Colt but Im still not sure wether it will be the Goverment Carbine, Law Enforcement Carbine or the M4.  I live in a state where these guns are banned and I dont hunt, so probably wont be shooting it very often.  I am buying it for a few reasons:

1. Im getting it and a lot of ammo while I still can.  Who knows what these A holes in our Gov are going to do.

2.  If the shit hits the fan I want to be able to protect my family and my possessions and contribute if needed.

3.  I want a gun that can be passed down to my children and maybe their children that might not be available to them.

4.  I want something that will hold its value in case I one day decide to sell it or up grade.

So my questions to all of you  are:

Which model do you recommend and why.  Im leaning toward the M4 because its lighter and smaller?
Which type of ammo should I stockpile?
Do you think my choice of going with Colt is the right decision?
There is a a big gun show coming to town soon. Should I buy my ammo there and if so which and what is a reasonable price.  Remember the ammo is to kill not to target practice with.

Thanks for for help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:12:14 PM EDT
Buy a California legal gun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:13:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:19:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SurferKen:
I am buying my first rifle ever and its going to be a AR 15.  I have decided that it will be a Colt but Im still not sure wether it will be the Goverment Carbine, Law Enforcement Carbine or the M4.  I live in a state where these guns are banned and I dont hunt, so probably wont be shooting it very often.  I am buying it for a few reasons:

1. Im getting it and a lot of ammo while I still can.  Who knows what these A holes in our Gov are going to do.

2.  If the shit hits the fan I want to be able to protect my family and my possessions and contribute if needed.

3.  I want a gun that can be passed down to my children and maybe their children that might not be available to them.

4.  I want something that will hold its value in case I one day decide to sell it or up grade.

Which model do you recommend and why.  Im leaning toward the M4 because its lighter and smaller?
There is a a big gun show coming to town soon. Should I buy my ammo there and if so which and what is a reasonable price.  Remember the ammo is to kill not to target practice with.

Thanks for for help.

ughhhh, the aaazzholes in your gov have already done it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:39:57 PM EDT

Thanks for for help.

Do you mean:
gov't carbine=14.5" barrel (SBR)?
law enforcement carbine=16" barrel?
M4=fully auto 14.5" barrel (fully auto SBR)?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:45:21 PM EDT
Yeah if your not going to shoot it at all then buy a non cali legal rifle and hide it in your safe for SHTF reasons only or if you move. If you plan on EVER shooting IN Cali I would not risk it. Better off making it legal then....sucks big time but that's how it is. If money isn't an issue buy 2, one you store the other you nutter and shoot  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:46:05 PM EDT
welcome, sorry about your geographic location. Beware - Funshow prices - may I suggest surfing the equiptment exchange, to get a good idea of the true market prices, so you don't get ripped. Colt = top shelf. .223 is around $400+ / 1K. good luck!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:49:45 PM EDT
Don't do anything until you've read this thread over at calguns.net.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:01:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ftwm:

+1

California gun law is tricky. But you can still legally own an AR15 built from off the list lower.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:13:36 PM EDT
Do you mean:

Gov't carbine 16.1 barrel
law enforce. carbine 16.1 barrel
m4 14.5 barrel

These are the models they have listed on the Colt web site.  My buddy owns a gun shop in a differ state and can get me his cost which is about 300 - 400 dollars less than retail.

I would never shoot it in my state and risk being caught with it.  Only when I visit family (who all own these same type of guns) in another state.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:17:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By maxima:
Originally Posted By ftwm:

+1

California gun law is tricky. But you can still legally own an AR15 built from off the list lower.

Cal gun laws suck and they don't make any exceptions (unless you're a criminal).

How about a couple of tactical (no pistol grips, of course) Shot Guns and some 10 round Glocks? Shot shell rounds are getting really exotic and are still around for purchase...get a rifled barrel and sabots!

Otherwise, squirm around your elected officials f'd up laws that will keep you safe

Welcome...now pay to join!

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:18:57 PM EDT
Do you mean:

Gov't carbine 16.1 barrel
law enforce. carbine 16.1 barrel
m4 14.5 barrel

These are the models they have listed on the Colt web site.  My buddy owns a gun shop in a differ state and can get me his cost which is about 300 - 400 dollars less than retail.

I would never shoot it in my state and risk being caught with it.  Only when I visit family (who all own these same type of guns) in another state.

If that's the case, go with a 6920.

If you want a barrel shorter than 16" you either have to pay for a tax stamp which will allow you to own a short-barreled rifle, or you have to permanently attach the muzzle device to bring the barrel length to at least 16"
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:30:00 PM EDT
I am buying my first rifle ever and its going to be a AR 15.  I have decided that it will be a Colt (Colt is among the list of mfgs. banned by name by CA in regards to ARs) but Im still not sure wether it will be the Goverment Carbine, Law Enforcement Carbine or the M4.  I live in a state where these guns are banned and I dont hunt, so probably wont be shooting it very often.  I am buying it for a few reasons:

1. Im getting it and a lot of ammo while I still can.  Who knows what these A holes in our Gov are going to do. True, stocking up on ammo is a good precaution, I recommend going to a carbine/rifle class as well. Training is money well spent.

2.  If the shit hits the fan I want to be able to protect my family and my possessions and contribute if needed. This would probably be difficult in CA with a CA legal AR. Unless you get really proficient at pivoting the upper from the lower to load your fixed 10 round (or less) magazine one round at a time, I would recommend a different weapon. I think the M1A would fit the bill nicely for your stated purpose.

3.  I want a gun that can be passed down to my children and maybe their children that might not be available to them. While this isn't largely an issue of gifting or willing firearms, it could become one if certain weapons are required to be registered as "assault weapons." In which case, both you and your kids would have to register as owners. But, this is hypothetical and circumstantial.

4.  I want something that will hold its value in case I one day decide to sell it or up grade. Unless you buy a truly horrible rifle or if you throw it down your driveway repeatedly, your weapon should retain a good amount of it's value in the current market.

Which model do you recommend and why.  Im leaning toward the M4 because its lighter and smaller? Carbines are typically more popular than rifles in regards to ARs, and while they're lighter, they often have a shorter sight radius in regards to iron sights. I would opt for a carbine (M4 style) weapon if I were in your position.
Which type of ammo should I stockpile? See below.
Do you think my choice of going with Colt is the right decision? See above about Colt ARs in CA.
There is a a big gun show coming to town soon. Should I buy my ammo there and if so which and what is a reasonable price.  Remember the ammo is to kill not to target practice with. Buy factory loaded ammo! Yes, this is my opinion, but buying someone's handloads from a gunshow has cost people dearly before!

Thanks for for help.

Pay the CA Hometown forum a visit after looking through calguns.net!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:22:02 PM EDT
Are pistol grip shot guns banned in Cal too?  I was also going to buy one of those also.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:06:17 AM EDT
Calguns dude.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:55:08 AM EDT
I don't think you can own a 6920 in CA unless you're a LEO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:07:47 AM EDT
The closest you'll be able to get to what you want will be something like a MT6400C (Colt M4 Carbine) with a bullet button, but you'll probably have to get an "off list lower" like a CMMG.
Top Top