Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2004 3:22:12 AM EDT
Hi Guys
 I dont know much about the AR 15 style rifle and I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.
I want to buy a Rock river arms carbine ( I'm not sure what the shortest one is) and I dont know about the models.
I want to buy it a section at a time.

1. If I buy the lower listed on the site for $250 will it fit all of there complete uppers? I dont know how it works. here
Thanks for your help
Dan

Oh and by the way Hello! This is my first post
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you qualify for LE Only rifles, the shortest you can get is 16" regardless of manufacturer.  I happen to like RRA very much, I've got the national match A2 and it's sweet.  As far as carbines, do you plan on tricking the thing out with all kinds of attachments/lights/optics/etc?  If you do, you might want to look at something with a free float quad rail.  Make sure you get the light barrel under the handguards otherwise it'll weigh about 8 pounds (which most would say is too much for a carbine).  Talk to Pete with Legal Transfers, he's on the equipment exchange, he can help you out.  As long as you don't get a national match lower, everything should fit fine.  Even the NM lower will still work, it'll just be very tight for a while, you may need a punch to get the pins out and a little rubber hammer to take it apart.  By the way, check out the hometown forum for virginia, they have a place where new members can check in, we keep a running tally of how many members we've got.  Welcome to ARFCOM!  MJD
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
highwayman
 Thanks for the info, I have read a lot of good thing about RRA and I really want to go with them.
Is there modification to the rifle needed to install a free floating handguard?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Dan,

$250 for a complete RRA lower is a bit much.  Check out Eaglefirearms.net they have complete Stag lowers which are the same as RRA receivers for much less $$.

They also have a special running for a complete RRA Entry Tactical Rifle for $719. This model even has a chrome lined barrel and M-4 light barrel profile.  You will have to buy a rear flip up site, removable carry handle, or a red dot site (I'd suggest the Trijicon Reflex II) but that's about it.  

If you have never bought an out of state rifle you will have to do a FFL transfer.  Basically call around to your local gun shops asking if they do FFL transfers and how much they charge.  Pick the Gun shop you want.  Pick up the ink signed copy of the gun shops FFL license.  Include in a letter to the seller your dealers address to have the firearm shipped to ,the copy of the FFL's ink signed copy, and money order (if you didn't pay via Credit Card).  You will have to pick up the rifle at your local gun shop and fill out the federal background check and take your new toy home.   You will even have to do this if you buy just a lower, the Gov. considers the lower a firearm.  The upper can be sent directly to your door since it's not considered a firearm.  

BTW Welcome to the Club
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If you buy the upper from RRA and select the free float as an option they will put it on for you (but you WILL pay through the nose for it).  There was a good thread a week or so back that showed how to put a free float tube/handguard onto an upper.  You could try a search for it.  It requires some special tools but not much skill, it looked surprisingly easy.  Ever think about getting one that's lightly used?  That way, somebody else went through all the trouble (and expense) to put on all the goodies.  If you want the prestige of having a truly custom rifle then that may not be the way to go.  Before you get into all the customizing, you may just want the basics, get a flip up rear sight and practice with that before you add all kinds of optics and what not.  That way, if the optic device fails you are still proficient enough to put lead on target with the irons.  I think irons are more fun anyway.  That's my .02.  I should have done a lot of things differently when I bought the NM A2 but you live and learn but no matter which Rock River you get you wont' be sorry.  Daubs
has a lot of good info, all of which is important when buying firearms out of state.  MJD
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top