Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:42:29 PM EDT
Hello all.

I'm a newbie to ARs (don't own one yet), and I've been lurking here for many months.  A 16" midlength is what I've decided on.  I'm looking into either the RRA Elite CAR A4 or the RRA Elite CAR UTE2.

Basically, my AR needs to be a KISS firearm.  I may add the EOTech much later down the road.  I would love some input and opinions on these two ARs.  Pros and cons of both would be appreciated.  Pictures of your own builds would be great as well.  Thanks everyone!

BTW, the AR would be for home-defense and SHTF in a mostly urban setting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, and my condolences on getting the disease.  :-)

I have a Tactical CAR A4, and I'm a big fan.  I've accessorized it enough to make it highly resemble the Government Model they have on there.  

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the UTE has the permanent iron on there, whereas the tactical A4 has the true flattop with the "tactical carry handle" on there.  I eventually ditched the handle when I mounted an EOTech on mine, and put an ARMS #40L flipup behind it.  I suspect that if you ever get an optic (which will be hard to resist), the permanent irons on the rear may bug you.  You have more versatility with the A4.

It's worth noting that both are heavy barrels.  I get along fine with mine, but some folks don't like the extra weight.  I'm not going to start another round of flame wars over that, but it's something you should be aware of.

I also might look into getting a barrel that's chrome lined for a little extra, if you're ordering direct.  The Wilson barrel is excellent, and a lot more accurate than I am, but chrome will make cleaning less of a chore, at the expense of a little accuracy supposedly, though with a SHTF KISS carbine, you likely won't notice a difference between the two.

I need to take a few more happy-snaps of my carbine since I installed the LMT SOPMOD stock.  Peace.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone used the EOTech on the UTE2 upper?  How does the sight picture work out?  Thoughts?

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm...nuthin'? hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my Elite Car A4 last April and love it. You can order it with the Dominator mount and the EoTech will co-witness perfectly. I like the versitility of this over the UTE2 because you can do so many things with it  later if you want to.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for

UTE2 = Ghey
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd pass on the UTE simply because it has that fixed iron sight.

Why limit yourself?  

Getting the flattop and putting a BUIS (back-up iron sight) on it gives you the exact same functionality, but greater flexibility.

BTW: Welcome to the boards!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to see RRA trying something different, but I'm just not too keen on that UTE 2.

The same thing can be accomplished with a flattop with an LMT rear site like this.

It is very strong, and if you decide you want to use a flip-up rear site instead, you simply take it off and replace it with the one you want. The same can't be dome with the UTE.

Either way, you can't go wrong with s RRA mid-length that is chrome-lined.

WIZZO

Oh yeah, Welcome
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I suppose I like the appearance of sturdiness of the UTE2 rear sight.  However, I haven't owned an AR before, so my opinion is lacking experience.  Is an LMT rear sight just as secure?  How about a flip up sight?

And if that's what I decide to do, where is the best place to purchase an LMT or flip-up?  Thanks again everyone!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Hit the search button at the top of the page and type in "LMT" and mae sure the search field is the Equipment Exchange.

Look for anything that says LMT BUIS or LMT rear site. That's what you're looking for.

There are so many different flip-up rear BUIS's that you have to look around and find one you like. There's no right or wrong with them. LOTS of them can also be found in the EE.

The LMT rear site won't be as sturdy as the UTE2. Simple fact. The UTE2 is a one piece solid forging, so it does have the edge in overall strength. The LMT rear site will work perfectly, though, and I bet you'd have a hard time breaking it since it is a sturdy piece of equipment.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top