Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2006 12:45:16 PM EDT
Sort of a newbie, been a  LONG time since I was a "regular" here.  Things sure have changed on this site, for sure.

Some time ago bought a good amount of ammo, and have run out.  I'm getting sticker shockht
If I wanted to buy a "decent" amount, where is the best place to look?

Any info would be appreciative.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/16/2006 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume you're talking .308 because there hasn't been any South African .223 for quite some time.

AIM Surplus is the place to go for South African .308 ... $168 for a 980 round case (no ammo can), $175 if you want the ammo can.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
My mistake, to show you how long its been since I've been here, its 5.56.

Like I said, this site has REALLY changed!
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the ammo price list tacked at the top of the page.

The popular surplus ammos currently are:
55gr Guatemalan from AIM (among others)
63gr Radway Green also from AIM and others (Wiedners, etc.)

Wolf is usually the cheapest thing going but is not up to 5.56 specs and is good for plinking if your rifle eats it OK.

Hope this helps!
Mike
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I'm too old, (yeah, I am old now I guess)  but been around long enough to the point that you couldn't pay me to use Wolf ammo (no offense to those who use Wolf).  

Looking at anywhere between 10k-30k rounds.  Like I said, sticker shock, and I hate reloading for this type rifle.

xmikex  looked at what you suggested other than the Wolf.  No "problems" (quality wise?) with what you suggested per this forum (ok, the "search" has changed here and looking for it! DUHH found it)

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
55gr Guatemalan from AIM (among others)
63gr Radway Green also from AIM and others (Wiedners, etc.)

+1 ... I haven't used the RG (as my Bushmasters are zeroed to M193) but I can vouch for the Guat M193.  Aside from some rusty ammo and some bug infested battlepacks, it's great stuff.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks

Seems some of the places are closed now, but will need to try to call on Monday.

Again, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]
glad I could help!  

If you're ordering that quantity, you should be able to get a little more of a price break hopefully.

WOLF is generally OK so long as your guns eat it.  The price is definitely right and they've fixed a lot of the problems by changing from a lacquer coating to a polymer coating around the necks - just look back a few pages in this section and you'll find PLENTY of reading on wolf poly.

mike
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Saw some of those posts.  Some time ago just saw to many gun "problems" caused by Wolf ammo in person (although not myself because I was still leary of it then).   Old experiences and habits can be hard to break, one reason why I know I'm getting old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top