Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 10:21:37 AM EDT
I've been reading on the fforum for the last couple of weeks and did more than a couple of searches.

I want to buy(or build) an AR. I looked at bushmaster and RRA but I'm having trouble deciding on what model is that i need. So far the only things i'm sure of is that i want a 16" and a 6 position stock. The reason I'm interested in building one is because I will eventually change things like the grip and rails and why not get them first hand.

Like i said in the title i'm a complete newbie on ar-15.

thanks for the help

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Like i said in the title i'm a complete newbie on ar-15.

if you don't have someone that can assist/help you then I would buy it
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Build it, it is'nt brain surgery. If you can put a model car together you can build an AR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest buying a complete rifle with the barrel and stock that you're looking for. You can't go wrong with your two choices (Bushmaster or RRA). Get familiar with it to get a feel for what you want out of that rifle. Then make additions to it, or make a list of what you like or dislike. Keep the first rifle for a beater, and use your list to build another one the way you want.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not to worried about if ill be able to build it. I know I can but since i dont know anybody thats done it and i would need to relly on the forums for help thats what im a little worried about.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#5]
if building use the "build it yourself" forum

if buying, pick one
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you are new to the AR-15 I would suggest either buying a complete basic rifle and adding the parts you want or buy a separate upper and lower from a reputable company, such as Bushmaster or Rock River.  With the two major components assembeled you will not need to prchase the necessary tools to build an upper, which can be costly.  Plus, by buying the upper separately there may be more configurations available than there would be by purchasing the complete rifle.

Just a warning though, many of the members here have experience a slight problem.  Once you get one AR, you just gotta get more.  Your second or third one would be a good time to do a complete build, or at least an upper,  once you get the basic operation down and understand how everying fits together and works.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Build, always build.
All the manufacturer's will warranty their products/sub-assembly's and the dealers here will provide you with excellant customer service. Once you build your own, you won't understand why some people pay someone else to do it for them.
And then you'll want to do it again.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy the first, build the rest.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I built my first, and since have and will always build. You get a better price and get exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I built mine (2). I bought 2 lowers and then over time bought the kits.

Basically you put together the lower and the upper is already assembled and headspaced. Not really a complete build but good experience anyway. This is the cheaper way as you don't really need any tools other than a roll pin punch set and a hammer. If you want to get into building a complete rifle you'll need a barrel wrench, armorers block and headspace gauges. If your going to build several rifles the extra tools wll pay for themselves. Even though I've gone the kit route, I eventually got the extra tools, well...  just because.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:16:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Build build build. That way you get what you wont the 1st time
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I decided I'm going to build. After reading the process I'm sure i can build without problems the lower half. For the upper half I dont have the tools to build it, for now. So far I know i will get a Vltor stock, and houge grip.

What is the diference between triggers? I know RRa makes 2 different ones but dont know why.  
For the upper i would like to change the handguard to a Vltor but since I dont have the tools to change it I'm open to suggestions. What upper do you guys recomend?

Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top