Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2002 3:51:02 PM EDT
I've been trying to do some research before buying my first AR. I want to say that this site seems to be just loaded with valuable info that seems to come from a whole lotta people with all kinds of experience and I think it's great that you all spend so much time helping each other out. ANYWAY......I've been looking at the Oly kits and have pretty much decided I want one, but haven't really seen many comments about them, good or bad. I'm looking at the PCR-4 with SS Barrel and I was also going to go with their forged lower.
    I'd sure appreciate any advice from those of you that have had any past experience with this company. I don't have an unlimited cash supply, but I do want a good weapon when I'm done, so spending a little more now would be preferable to having something I might be disappointed in......Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own an Olympic myself, but from what I've read on this site I think my next AR will be a stripped Olympic lower to put together myself (Just for the fun of it).  From what the other members have said it seems as though they have very good customer service and a lifetime warranty on their receivers (NICE!).  I would probably not buy the "Plinker" model though.  From what I have read it is all forged construction and their other model is only a little more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Oly is OK.  Middle of the spectrum as far as quality goes, but also low cost too.

I have a Oly SS Ultramatch that I just love.  Had a 16" HBAR that I had extraction trouble with.  They are known for tighter chambers... and more inclined to match shooting, instead of blasting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Freeman....
Just finished a PCR-4 with a forged Oly lower. No problems on assembly and took it to the range today. Only put 30 rounds through it to check function which went without a hitch. Damn bifocals won't let me focus on both sights but it still shot 9 out of 10 shots in a 1 1/2x2" square. The kit fitted up tight with no gaps or slop and still opens easily.  Gonna put a scope on it and replace the trigger to see what it can really do. I think it is a good kit for the money and plan to build a carbine next.

just my 02¢
        Tim
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
'Bout a year ago I put one together from a 20" Oly kit and an Oly T-3 forged lower. If youv'e got a basic tool box, some starret punches and a USMC M-16 manual you can put it together in about 1.5 hrs (the oly kits come with a complete and headspaced upper).
Mine has absolutely no slop between the upper & lower and will shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yds. with match grade ammo.
Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I sure appreciate all the input from you folks, and since no one had any horror stories, I just called my local guy and had him get me the lower on the way. I'll probably call and get the rest ordered today or tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it turns out and maybe post a pic.My thanks again to everyone!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a Oly SS Ultramatch that I just love.  Had a 16" HBAR that I had extraction trouble with.  They are known for tighter chambers... and more inclined to match shooting, instead of blasting.

As a note as of 2-3 yars ago, Oly's non SUM chambers are now 556, so you should not have any problems with a tight chamber.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top