Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:29:35 AM EDT
Hey guys, you have the most informative site of any hobbies I currently are involved in, simply amazing how many semi-experts (and true-experts) are on here, so thanks for everything I have learned so far.  

I plan on building an AR, I am trying to find what I think would be a good match for me, and was wondering if anyone has experiences/suggestions for what I would need/want.  I plan to primarily use it for coyote hunting (shots from 20 to 300yds or so)  which I do about 5-10 times a year, this primarily includes walking to multiple calling sites, so the 24" bull-barrel is out...and I also would like it to be a fun playgun...my requirements would probably be met with 1 moa accuracy (less would be better),  I don't plan on prarie doggin with it or anything like that .  I plan on for sure mounting around a 3-9x scope on it, nothing fancy, and possibly a red dot or cheaper holograph sight  in addition to the scope for close up work and plinking, or I might be fine with a quick-detachable mount for both.  I also want some type of free float handguard, and I like both the quad rail or something similar and the very clean looking aluminum tube commonly seen on "varmint" ARs.  Would probably also want a 2-stage trigger.

My current thought (and I don't even know if it is available) for my perfect AR is an 18" fluted bull barrel ( I am slighty privy to heavy barrels) w/ flattop, FF handguard and stock doesn't really matter, though it would be cool to have a collapsible with a good cheek weld for "road-hunting" hehe...or a skeleton stock just because they do look cool (gotta have some of that, or I would just keep using my bolt gun!)  I already have a Harris bipod for my bolt gun, so I would just need a sling stud to mount that to an AR.  It also should be noted that this gun will be USED, it need not be a beauty queen, just functional!

Any thoughts on the best place to find stuff at  for what I am looking for (and I am trying to keep on a  reasonable budget here) or what other options I should think about to fit both my practical and cosmetic requirements?  Thanks in advance for any replies!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
i asked this same questions and had the same intentions  

they suggested a Rock River Arms  midlength A2 or A4 with a flat-top reciever and detachable carry handle,

these are fine firearms and come in a variety of combos, check them out i am purchasing the Mid length A4 this weekened

good buy for $800 then you can always add more when you are ready or have descovered your taste or needs

good luck Glockster19
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#3]
We cant help without a price limit. Reasonable is relative.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
rough budget:  (for gun with no optics or mounts) 800 or less...

Glockster, any pics on what you are talking about, I get confused with what midlength actually defines (though i thought it had something to do with the gas system)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My opinion is lighter is better if you're walking.  A 16" lightweight barrel can give you a neck shot on a coyote at 300 yards providing you have a good scope and can use it.  You don't need a fluted barrel or free float rails (freefloat at 300 yards for ONE shot on a dog isn't going to help enough to justify the cost or useability).  If you're coyote hunting, then you know that it is rare to have extended firing at one time, which is what freefloat tubes and heavy barrels are made for.  My non-freefloat 16" lightweight colt is better than 1 moa, although, sometimes I'm not.

I'm not even a "simi-expert" , but use what works from a practical standpoint especially if you're on a budget.  I've gone the route of the latest and greatest before and wasted a lot of money, however, if you are going to buy the cool stuff, go for quality.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks

What about forward assist and things like that, necessary stuff?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Flat Top 18" HBAR fluted sounds good to me but I like heavy barrels, most people on this site seem to dislike heavy barrels. I have seen a few 18" Barrels advertised by some of the dealers on this site. CMMG comes to mind I am sure Randal of ARbarrels could help, are you looking for SS or chromemoly? what rate of twist?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the look of stainless, for sure, though I am no expert on the accuracy of them, but everything I read sounds like they are good for that.  Also, from what I can tell, I would probably be ok with anywhere from 1-7 to 1-9, might just have to change ammo accordingly, would probably be shooting from 55 to 70 grain bullets.  Does that sound right, and is it a huge jump from 1-7 to 1-9 twists (or should I just try to find a 1-8 to be in the middle)

THanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the forward assist used for quiet loading.  I use it all the time for this purpose.

"road hunting"?  =  illegal in Texas  
you must mean vehicle hunting
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top