Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2011 6:15:17 PM EDT
So I got a shorter buffer tube for mt AR. Undid the castle nut, took the old tube off. Put detent spring back in, threaded new tube on with new spring it came with. Reinstalled castle night. Pulled the charging handle back (felt tighter than normal) and now the bolt is stuck in the back position and wont release. Tried the bolt release button and no dice. Can't undo the castle nut and get the tube off either now for some reason. Any help is appreciated..
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:18:52 PM EDT
Shorter? do you have a link or picture to what kind of buffer tube you got?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:21:32 PM EDT
Nevermind, all fixed. I got the castle nut loose, unthread the buffer tube one or two threads. Retightened the nut and now the bolt functions as normal.

I went from a mid-length tube to a carbine length..
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:25:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hellbound13:
Nevermind, all fixed. I got the castle nut loose, unthread the buffer tube one or two threads. Retightened the nut and now the bolt functions as normal.

Perhaps you're just using improper terminology, but there are only three kinds of buffer tubes available to my knowledge: rifle, carbine, and pistol.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:38:37 PM EDT
Did you put the buffer/ buffer spring back in?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:43:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARJJ:

Perhaps you're just using improper terminology, but there are only three kinds of buffer tubes available to my knowledge: rifle, carbine, and pistol.

There are also the A5 and shorty 'entry' receiver extensions.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:47:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By strat81:
Originally Posted By ARJJ:

I stand corrected then. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:21:57 PM EDT

Entry are the same length as regular carbine telestock tubes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:34:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Entry are the same length as regular carbine telestock tubes.

Yep. They use carbine buffers and such.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:58:15 AM EDT
Well something still ain't right. Took it to the range today and it was fine for about 60 rounds through it. After that it would fire one round, the bolt would then stay in the open position. I could slap the side of the AR and the bolt would then close and allow me to fire another round then stay open till I slapped it again and so on?

What is wrong here? Did I get a crappy tube/spring? Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:45:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 1:47:27 PM EDT by wyager]
I had sort of a similar problem when I built mine. You know that little pin with the nipple (for lack of a better word) on it that rests under the buffer tube inside the lower receiver? Perhaps yours is not far down enough. Take off the buffer tube, push down the pin with the nipple, and screw the buffer tube on further. The nipple could be rubbing against the underside of the BCG and slowing it down/jamming it.

This is what I mean:

The buffer tube must hold down that nipple. Yours might have started out down far enough, but then slipped up and is now rubbing against the BCG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:06:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 2:08:02 PM EDT by strat81]
Originally Posted By wyager:
I had sort of a similar problem when I built mine. You know that little pin with the nipple (for lack of a better word) on it that rests under the buffer tube inside the lower receiver? Perhaps yours is not far down enough. Take off the buffer tube, push down the pin with the nipple, and screw the buffer tube on further. The nipple could be rubbing against the underside of the BCG and slowing it down/jamming it.

This is what I mean:
http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/bufferpin2.jpg
The buffer tube must hold down that nipple. Yours might have started out down far enough, but then slipped up and is now rubbing against the BCG.

"Buffer retainer pin"

OP, remove the receiver extension from the lower receiver. Remove the buffer and action spring. Look inside with a flashlight. Is there abnormal wear indicating that the extension might be crooked? Try placing it on a flat surface, see if it's straight. A crooked receiver extension can cause problems.

Where did you buy this tube? Joe's Airsoft Junk and Bait Shop, the EE, Midway, Bravo Company?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:39:33 PM EDT
Some shitty tubes can be very loose where they thread into the receiver.When you tighten the nut,the tube will be crooked and bind-up the Bolt Carrier.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:53:00 PM EDT
Ok something it messed up here.

I took the lower off the upper and the spring immediately shot out. upon further inspection the nipple that you guys are talking about that holds the spring back in the lower reciever was loose and in the trigger assembly!!

I went to put that nipple back in but it just sunk down in the hole. Im assuming there was a spring under it or something that is now missing?

I might just have to take it to a gun smith, its all messed up..
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 2:57:15 PM EDT by Hellbound13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:57:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 3:00:14 PM EDT by hellbound]
you need a new buffer retainer spring, when installing the receiver extension (aka buffer tube), you need to tighten it so that the lip on the front edge engages the buffer retainer just enough to hold it in place while still allowing it to move up and down freely so you can remove the buffer and spring.

what type of receiver extension did you have? which type did you replace it with? what brand are these parts?
what type of buffer do you have installed? it appears to be a standard carbine buffer.

can you post pictures?

just looked at the pictures... that's one of those goofy ass extensions that you need to thread such that it covers the buffer retainer completely by compressing the retainer while tightening it. the retainer will then stick up out of the hole in the front edge.

what is the length of that spring? is it an "extra power" or "heavy duty" spring?

personally i'd send all of that shit back, and reinstall the original parts
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:59:29 PM EDT
Pics are now up.

I had the stock buffer tube (commercial) that came with my Armalite AR 15 mid-length rifle. I replaced it with a carbine length buffer tube who I can't remember the brand, also commercial. (as seen in the pics)
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:00:21 PM EDT
A spring goes under the retaining pin and the buffer tube gets screwed on so the end of the tube holds down the retaining pin.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:02:27 PM EDT
Pics are now up.

I had the stock buffer tube (commercial) that came with my Armalite AR 15 mid-length rifle. I replaced it with a carbine length buffer tube who I can't remember the brand, also commercial. (as seen in the pics)

so you swapped one commercial carbine receiver extension for another off brand commercial receiver extension?

if ain't broke don't fix it... or in your case... if it ain't broke, don't break it...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:16:48 PM EDT
No I swapped the stock rifle length tube for an off brand carbine tube. Anyway I found the spring for the nipple, it too was in the trigger area. I think I have it all back now to where it should work ok. Here is a pic of how I have it now..

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/agillustrator/photo-9.jpg?t=1312931787

Also can anyone recommend me a QUALITY, IN STOCK carbine buffer tube and spring?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:23:30 PM EDT

what is the length of that spring? is it an "extra power" or "heavy duty" spring?

It is actually about half an inch LONGER than the stock spring that came out of the rifle size extension tube. Should I use the stock spring in the new carbine tube instead?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:31:28 PM EDT
It might be a optical illusion but is there a notch in the reciever extension in your upper pics?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:33:57 PM EDT
Is the tube holding the pin down or just the buffer? I'm assuming it is or the pin would be flying out before you installed the buffer.

Pic with buffer removed would be more useful for us trying to help.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:37:02 PM EDT
in the picture "lower receiver missing the nipple" why is the receiver extension shiny?
did it start shiny? it shouldn't have.
make it black with a sharpie and see if it gets shiny again.
thts some serious rubbin there
rubbin's bad m'kay?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:38:30 PM EDT
No I swapped the stock rifle length tube for an off brand carbine tube. Anyway I found the spring for the nipple, it too was in the trigger area. I think I have it all back now to where it should work ok. Here is a pic of how I have it now..

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/agillustrator/photo-9.jpg?t=1312931787

Also can anyone recommend me a QUALITY, IN STOCK carbine buffer tube and spring?

your tube still is not screwed in enough, the tube itself should cover the back half of the buffer retaining pin and hold it down into the lower receiver. if it does not hold it in then when your rifle cycles the pin will rub the bolt carrier/come out and get stuck in your fcg. look at the sticky at the top of the forum and read directions about assembling your own lower closely.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:38:52 PM EDT

It is actually about half an inch LONGER than the stock spring that came out of the rifle size extension tube. Should I use the stock spring in the new carbine tube instead?

Don't use a rifle spring in a carbine tube.
A rifle spring should be roughly 12.5" long and have 44 coils.
A carbine spring should be roughly 10.7 " long and have 36 coils.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:39:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thezman:

Don't use a rifle spring in a carbine tube.
A rifle spring should be roughly 12.5" long and have 44 coils.
A carbine spring should be roughly 10.7 " long and have 36 coils.

+100
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:47:01 PM EDT
Why was there a castle nut on your rifle extension?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:03:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hellbound:
Why was there a castle nut on your rifle extension?

What do you mean? Thats what locks the extension to the lower..

Also for some reason this carbine spring is longer than my stock spring which had a longer tube?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:11:03 PM EDT
You don't use a castle nut on a rifle tube.

On a rifle tube you screw it on until it bottoms out on the built in shoulder on the tube right behind the threads.

On a carbine tube you screw it on until it holds down the retainer and then tighten the castle nut to secure the tube.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:14:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thezman:
You don't use a castle nut on a rifle tube.

On a rifle tube you screw it on until it bottoms out on the built in shoulder on the tube right behind the threads.

On a carbine tube you screw it on until it holds down the retainer and then tighten the castle nut to secure the tube.

Well Im not sure then. My stock tube came with a castle nut and it was a much longer tube than the carbine I replaced it with. Maybe Im not calling it by its name correctly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:19:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:22:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 4:33:23 PM EDT by OverScoped]
see this picture

your tube is not inserted far enough. take out the buffer and spring, by pushing the pin down. loosen the castle nut(JUST A LITTLE or the safetyspring and detent will fly out) while pushing the pin down, screw the tube about 2 turns into the lower. it should rest on the shoulder of the retainer, but not cover the nipple. tighten the castle nut. push the retainer down and push in the spring and buffer. you must use a carbine spring and buffer combo in a carbine tube and a rifle spring and buffer in a rifle. they are not interchangeable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:30:43 PM EDT
In my opinion this should be a very easy job.

After going back and rereading this entire thread my head is spinning.

If you take pics of what you took off we can help you get this sorted out. Maybe.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:34:05 PM EDT

BCM

Then read through the link above on how to assemble your own lower.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:54:00 PM EDT

BCM

Thats milspec I need commercial..
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:55:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
see this picture http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/agillustrator/photo-9.jpg?t=1312931787

your tube is not inserted far enough. take out the buffer and spring, by pushing the pin down. loosen the castle nut(JUST A LITTLE or the safetyspring and detent will fly out) while pushing the pin down, screw the tube about 2 turns into the lower. it should rest on the shoulder of the retainer, but not cover the nipple. tighten the castle nut. push the retainer down and push in the spring and buffer. you must use a carbine spring and buffer combo in a carbine tube and a rifle spring and buffer in a rifle. they are not interchangeable.

I can't go any further. The extension has a little cut out where the nipple notches into if I go any further the extension has a grooved part that the nipple hits to prevent you from going further. The nipple is being held down by the extension so I think I have it in the right spot, I certainly can't go further due to the extension design.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 6:31:47 PM EDT by Girthrockwel]
I've never seen a receiver extension with a notch in it. Usually I just screw in the extension until it bottoms out against the buffer retainer then back it off until it lines up properly. If you end up taking it apart again take some good pictures of the open end of the extension. I'd like to see what that edge looks like. Where did you buy the extension?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:33:50 PM EDT
Your profile says you're in NY.

Do you know that It is not legal in NY to have a collapsible stock on your AR.That tube you are trying to install goes with a collapsing stock.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:52:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By myco4you:
Your profile says you're in NY.

Do you know that It is not legal in NY to have a collapsible stock on your AR.That tube you are trying to install goes with a collapsing stock.

Yes I am aware. I no longer live in NY though. Moved about six months ago, thank god.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:52:29 PM EDT
This thread is a perfect example why I buy new & build myself.

I won't tale a chance buying somebody's humped up POS!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:03:18 PM EDT
Here is a pic where you can see the notch, if you turn the tube even further eventually you hit a part that won't let it go any further..

Again if anyone can recommend a better commercial carbine tube I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:05:31 PM EDT
What about this brand? Would this one be better?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=657408
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:12:27 PM EDT
Here is a pic where you can see the notch, if you turn the tube even further eventually you hit a part that won't let it go any further..

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/agillustrator/photo-8.jpg?t=1312930515

Again if anyone can recommend a better commercial carbine tube I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help!

you have to keep the buffer retainer compressed, eventually it should like something like this... o)... the notch will cover the rear half of the retainer...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:15:04 PM EDT
Get yourself a DPMS Commercial Tube from Midway.I think they are about $20

I've used them before,and they fit perfect on every gun I put them on.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:18:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hellbound:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/agillustrator/photo-8.jpg?t=1312930515

Thanks for all the help!

you have to keep the buffer retainer compressed, eventually it should like something like this... o)... the notch will cover the rear half of the retainer...

Yes I think that is how I now have it set. I know it certainly can't go further otherwise the butt stock is cock-eyed. When I have it in the notch everything is lined. Will have to test at the the range.. Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:18:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By myco4you:
Get yourself a DPMS Commercial Tube from Midway.I think they are about $20

I've used them before,and they fit perfect on every gun I put them on.

Got a link, I could only find their mil-spec or ones that had no spring with it..
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:29:05 PM EDT

BCM

You said you wanted quality.

Why do you want a commercial tube?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:39:26 PM EDT

BCM

I was told there was not much difference in quality between the two, just the size. The reason I want the comm tube is because I already have a Magpul stock for it that is comm. Also are the threads on the two tubes for where it screws into the reciever different?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:40:24 PM EDT

BCM

Looks like he's got a Magpul stock that I'm guessing is commercial.

OP, there's nothing wrong with a commercial tube. Just get a good one. The DPMS tube would probably be fine for your purposes. Or you could go to RRA or Bushmaster and get one. They probably all come from the same place anyway.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:42:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Girthrockwel:

BCM

Looks like he's got a Magpul stock that I'm guessing is commercial.

OP, there's nothing wrong with a commercial tube. Just get a good one. The DPMS tube would probably be fine for your purposes. Or you could go to RRA or Bushmaster and get one. They probably all come from the same place anyway.

Thanks. Do you have a link to a good kit, or do I have to buy the tube, spring and buffer all seperate?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top