Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2004 8:32:34 AM EDT
Im working on my first AR-15 and have a question.
On my barrel I have 5.56 s.s
Do I have a stainless barrel chamberd for 5.56 ?
How does this math up to a chrome lined barrel ?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Im working on my first AR-15 and have a question.
On my barrel I have 5.56 s.s
Do I have a stainless barrel chamberd for 5.56 ? That usually indicates Nato spec
How does this math up to a chrome lined barrel ? Depends on what you are using it for.

Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Stainless Steel is mostly for accuracy purposes; it requires a break-in, and is the most accurate barrel type. Disadvantages are that the barrel wears much faster than other so it needs to be replaced more frequently. Generally (IIRC) target shooters who are really serious about competing change barrels after every 3,000 rounds, though I can't remember where I heard this (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

A Chrome-Moly barrel is just a plain old barrel. Chrome-moly refers to the substances the barrel is made of; chrome-lined barrels are just chrome-moly barrels with a chrome-lining on the innards of the barrel and chamber.

A Chrome-lined barrel is a barrel that is chrome-lined (duh). The chrome lining acts as a lubricant so the rifle is more reliable, and the chrome is corrosion resistant so corrosive ammo won't eat through your barrel. Also Chrome-lined barrels last significantly longer than chrome-moly or Stainless Steel barrels. There is a slight decrease in accuracy between chrome-lined and chrome-moly, but not anything that can be detected by the average shooter.

HTH

BTW, when I get my first AR it will be chrome-lined. I suggest you do the same, you will thank yourself later .
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, some target shooters will change a barrel after 2500-3000 rounds, but for a normal shooter, the stainless will last plenty long as long as you are not dumping Beta C mags, bump firing, full auto, etc.

And stainless is not just for target shooting.  It is good anywhere you may have corrosion problems.  I live in a high humidity area, and for a trunk gun, SS is the way to go.

I have SS barrels, chrome lined, and some plain chrome moly.  Except for my Oly Ultramatch (a 1" bull target barrel, free floated, etc), all the other barrels perform essentially identically.  I cannot tell a difference in accuracy.

My son recently examined an Oly 16" SS barrel (about 15 years old) we know had over 20,000 rounds through it.  The lugs inside the barrel extension showed a little normal wear, but the bore scope showed this barrel to still have plenty of life.  Even in the throat, the wear was negligable.  And this was on a carbine that has been rode hard and put away wet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Barrels marked 5.56 S.S. that I have seen were Olympic Arms barrels.  Olympic would mark theirs 5.56, even on barrels cut to SAAMI spec chambers... so there is NO guarantee that marking means you have a NATO spec chamber.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top