Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:39:13 PM EDT
Hi group!

I'd like to build my first AR.  Up til now I've been a shotgun/handgun/and milsurp shooter (Mauser bolt-action rifles).

I like to target shoot at 100-300 yards.

I'd like to build an AR15 for target use. I don't compete, just for fun. I have no interest in tactical competition

Model 1 Sales has a kit that might be a good place to start for me.

For about a $1000 (less stripped lower) I can have them put together a kit as follows...

20'' .223 Rem Standard Rifle Kit,
Krieger 1-7.7'' twist stainless steel barrel. 11 degree target crown,
A3, National Match front sight, National match removable carry handle,
A2 stock & grip, black;
OCMP free float handgrd, black,
Chrome bolt carrier

The only change I'd make is to add a RRA match trigger.

I figure I can pick up a basic stripped lower for around $100  (Stag, RRA, Bushy).

I am a bit confused about the A2 and A3 uppers.  Not sure what the advantage of each would be.

Would this be a good place to start, or can I do better piecing this out and shopping around?

Your guidance and wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl
Orlando
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
To answer your question, that sounds like a VERY nice rifle.  If you arent into serious competition, that might be more barrel than you need.

What kind of ammo are you going to shoot?  What kind of group sizes are you expecting?  Do you want iron sights only, or options for optics?

A2's are irong sight uppers with built in carry handles.  A3's are flat tops, with options to mount optics, BUIS, or carry handles.

Unless you have to stick with A2, always go A3.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto.  That is a very serious barrel.   I hate to generalize here, but you could probably buy a barrel that shoots less than a half MOA larger for a couple hundred less.

With a Thousand buck minus lower budget, you could build a no holds barred top of the line rifle.  That is a lot more rifle than you are intending it for.

You may eventually go the CMP route - everyone builds a CMP rifle or upper package, and you may end up trying out a CMP match sometime.  Might as well start out with a legal service rifle.  

You DO want a good two stage trigger.  Everyone has their favorites, but look to spend 100-150 bucks here.  On the positive side, you can use this trigger group with every upper you have.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Your twist of 1 in 7.7 seems a little fast given your longest range statement of 300 yds. Generally, long range ( > 300 yd.) =  heavy bullets = fast  twist. Short range ( < 300 yd. ) = light bullets = slower twist.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Your twist of 1 in 7.7 seems a little fast given your longest range statement of 300 yds. Generally, long range ( > 300 yd.) =  heavy bullets = fast  twist. Short range ( < 300 yd. ) = light bullets = slower twist.

I guess it depends on what your particular barrel likes too.  I typically shoot my "varmint" rifle at 100yds.... and it like 77gr SMK's better than anything.  It is a 1:8 twist.

Personally, I think a 1:8 (or 1:7.7) is an excellent all around shooter.  Mine will drive 45gr - 77gr into sub MOA holes.  But 77 the best (.5)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
my 1 in 9 stabilizes anything from 40gr BT's to 68gr Black Hills just fine.  i can squeeze MOA easily with these and anything in between.  the 1 in 7 deal is a little on the top end...

the rest sounds like a winner.  i'm not much on the model 1 stuff.  

two cents.

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
How about this as a "slightly cheaper" alternative.

M&A Parts - 20" stainless DCM barrelled A2 upper with 11 degree crown and NM sights for $485.00

http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=179

Add the carrier/bolt assembly and chargning handle for an additional $100.00

Add the Mega Gator Lower half  for $199.00

http://www.carricozarmory.com/mega.htm

Upgrade to RRA N/M trigger for $115.00

Total cost

$485.00+$100+199+100= $885.00

Might be a better package for about $90 less plus probably have better components.

Although the Krieger barrel in my first post sure is sweet.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top