Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 5:26:12 PM EDT
Greetings,

I'm primarily a WWII era rifle collector who wants to buy his first AR and needs some advice.  What I'd like to get first is a heavy barrel model for some target shooting. I'm sure other AR's will probably follow, but as I grew up in a household where target shooting/competition was the sport of choice, I'd like to start with one I could use in the occasional match.

From what I've read is the best match rifles are custom built jobs, but I don't think I'm quite ready to go down that road yet. Maybe later...

So, if you in the know were to buy a 'target grade' factory made AR, what would you buy? Would pre/post/no ban make any difference? And, can such a rifle be had for around $1000 without optics, but with decent iron sights?  (There is a post-ban Colt H-bar model in a local shop that can be had for around $950; don't know if that is good, bad, or just plain ugly.) Or should i just forget it and go back to playing with my Garand and Enfields..?hinking.gif

Thanks in advance for any/all advice.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That's not a bad price for the colt, but you can get a lot more rifle for that kind of money.

You want a stainless 1/7 or 1/8 barrel with a floated tube, and a good trigger, best way is to buy a stripped lower and order a parts kit, check out the build it yourself forum, they're not hard to assemble at all, no headspacing or anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're looking in the $1K price range and want a match capable rifle, check out RRA.  I have one of their National Match A2's and its a very capable rifle that should fulfil your needs and is in your price range.  Feel free to drop an email if you have any questions
Lithgow303
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
BUSHMASTER

or you could try getting a MEGA lower, $89(carricozarmory.com), ACE stock,$100, and a JTdistribution (or model1sales) varmiter kit,($510-$600+) w/ bull bbl and a 2 stage trigger or watever and build it yourself (the upper comes assembled, so you only have to assemble the lower and there are instuctions on this site!)

GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
For a Stock Rifle, Bushmaster makes a Very Nice Varmint Rifle. It's in the price range you want. The barrel is 24" for the added velocity. It has a "Comp" trigger and a Free Float Tube already. It doesn't have the front sight as it's ment for optics but you could easily add a front site post. Out of the Box it's a great rifle. The Colt you mentioned sounds good also. What model is it? If it's a Sporter it would be a good buy. Also consider the Bushmaster DCM. You can see it at their web site as well as the varminter. I know they will drive tacks as well but they are a little more money. DCMP makes the Panther Clasic which also falls right in with these other rifles. They also have several Stainless Bull Barrel models which are very accurate. Olympic makes the Ultramatch rifle, but like the varmint rifle Bushy has, it doesn't have a front sight since it's made for optics. Olympic also makes the PCM-1P which I've read very good things about as far as accuricy. I own a Bushy, Olympic, Colt and DPMS and all are fantastic rifles. Colt is more $ but they also are a little nicer as far as finish. Finished barrel under the front site post and things like that shows they are paying attention to detail and also explains why they cost a little more. I don't think you can buy a Armalite, Bushy, Colt, DCMP or Olympic and not be satisfied. Unless you are strictly looking for a "National Match" rifle, they will all have small differences and different "stock" options that will help you determine your final choice.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you end up buying.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Justdave,

Doesn't matter what rifle you buy... you'll still suck!

In case your wondering Justdave is my best friend!  

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the constructive replies.  

I'll have to find out just what that local Colt is, and do some more research.  I'll also be looking into a build. Still not sure about building the match rifle for my first one, but it looks like a great way to get additional AR's.haveEven if he is misguided.  And,  sucking can be a good thing - just ask my wifehanks

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the constructive replies.  

I'll have to find out just what that local Colt is, and do some more research.  I'll also be looking into a build. Still not sure about building the match rifle for my first one, but it looks like a great way to get additional AR's. I can see a collapsible stock carbine in my future...

As for  Ripcode;  I have to admit I know him. And he is my best friend.
Even if he is misguided.  And,  sucking can be a good thing - just ask my wife

Thanks again!

Ha ha!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top