Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:11:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 4:11:43 PM EDT by JDC_VA_USMC]
I received my new RRA Entry Tactical on Monday (thanks to Pete from Legal Transfers), and I mounted my Dominator BUIS and EOTech 512 in anticipation of taking it to the NRA range and sighting in the EOTech and BUIS this weekend. I quickly realized that, despite being an expert rifleman in the Marine Corps for the past ten years, this is *a little* different, since all of my range experience is with an M16A2 with iron sights. So, here are the questions, BUIS first and 512 second.

BUIS:
I am used to BZOing the A2 at 36 yards using the windage knob and front sight post, keeping the elevation set at 8/3. This is the equivalent of aiming 300 yards, and then you set your elevation to 8/3 -2 for two hundred yards, etc (at least that's what I remember; haven't been to the range in two years and I don't have a data book with me.) I noticed the dominator doesn't have an 8/3 setting, it had a 6/3 setting, and at this setting it's flush and only goes up. I'm assuming this setting is different due to the 16" barrel as opposed to the 20" barrel and therefore the muzzle velocities of each? If so, what is the best way to BZO the dominator BUIS for a 16" barrel? The NRA range where I'll be is 50 yards.

EOTech:
This *looks* self explanatory, but I think I've read before that the dominator limits the distance you can adjust the EOTech down since you're already compensating for the fact that it's raised up. Is there any other issues to be aware of? It seems picking a range to zero the EOTech is a matter of personal preference, but 50 yards seems to be what a lot of people use.

Am I missing anything? Finally, I know this is like asking "what new car should I buy", but is there a decent ammunition I should buy for shooting at the 50 yard range that's a compromise between needlessly wasting money on high end ammunition, yet avoiding crap that's going to gunk up my new gun? Again, my experience with ammunition for the M16 is an armorer handing me a cardboard box of rounds.

Obviously, I have a lot to learn, and I'm looking forward to it. Until you own an AR of your own, you don't realize how little you know about these rifles even though I just spent 7 months in Iraq with one. It's easy to get spoiled when you're not picking out/paying for your ammunition, and you have a range coach walking you through BZOing your weapon. Lesson learned!

The day I picked up my new AR, I came home to a heat pump with a blown compressor, so please refrain from suggestions like "Buy a Trijicon ACOG!" or "Get a GG&G" this or "Get a LaRue" that. These repairs are going to cost more than a new rifle, so the rig I have is the one I'll have for a while. At least a few months anyway.

ETA: For those of you thinking "Why doesn't this dumbass just read the section on zeroing procedures in the TM that came with the rifle?"... yeah. I just found it. Cleared a lot of the BUIS questions up. I'd still appreciate some pointers on the EOTech or advice on the ammo.

Top Top