Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 5:05:52 PM EDT
Hey all-

I've been lurking in the forums for about a week now.  I've decided that I want to purchace a "no-ban" AR15.  So, as all newbies, I've come to ask the masters a few questions.

I see there are many different manufactures out there, and I'd like some input on which to purchace.  I've been looking at Bushmaster, Colt, and Armalite.  Now, I'm not trying to start a Ford vs. Chevy debate here (clearly, Mopar is far superior), but just asking some guneral advice.  So, my question can be answered: If *you* were to purchace (not build) another AR15, which would you buy, and why?

I'm looking for a 16" barrel (chrome seems to be the way to go), with a *removable* flash supressor, with a fixed stock.  I know most people seem to like the tele-stock, but it hasn't grown on me.  I can add it later, if I want, though.

I saw that the Armalite M15A2, Bushmaster A2 carbine, and Colt match target AR-15 all come close (except for the Bushmaster and Colt are missing the flash supressors, and presumabally the bayont lug).

Anyone own a Armalite?  Are they just as good as Colt?  

Thanks all, I look forward to learning a bunch from the masters! Erik Johnson
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Save your money and buy a Rock River Arms.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy a bushmaster personally, and if money is an object, go with RRA. Though I've never handled a RRA rifle, I've heard quite enough that they are top notch. So it's all on which logo YOU like.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
BUSHMASTER

A3; phantom FH; 16in hvybb; m-4 6-pos stock; CHROME; screw colt--they can keep thier nazi protocols to themselves, greedy bastrads
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Lotta people here hate Colt, lotta people love em. I have a Colt MT Hbar, but i am neither. I dont know what their stand on all this is but i like my rifle a lot. I got it from an ex marine, good price. Some people jack up the prices of colts unbelievable high (1200-1500 for LEs), here the LEs are 900. But if its your first AR, might want to look into a cheaper (not neccesarily cheaper quailty) rifle, Bushmaster seems to be loved by everyone here, i would probably reccomend Bushy to ya. Colts are nice, but seem to be high priced. IMO, 20" barrels look good with fixed A2 type stocks, 16" barrels look good with collapable stocks. Ive heard some pretty good things about DPMS, just one bad thing (someone said they can keep their junk), they are pretty good price wise, quality i wouldnt know. Colts Match Targets are post-ban versions, i think their only no-ban rifles are the Law Enforcement versions.

Hope that helps.

BTW, where in KY do you live?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow!  Thanks for all the response, they've helped a bunch.  hat
Money isn't really an object, I've got about $1200 of the g/f money to spend (she's great!).

OD-I live in Lexington, how about you?  You know of any good ranges in KY besides Knob Creek?

Thanks!

Erik Johnson
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
+ 2 for Bushmaster (i have two of em, uppers at least)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I would agree with the flat top upper. It leaves you with all your options open.

Good Luck and welcome to the AR family.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Louisville, KY and thier is a small indor range off of broadway downtown and they are also buiulding a brand new range somwhere near shooters supply.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
+3 for Bushmaster

Buying new and hate the telestock? get the stubby stock (or at least an A1). I think the 16" barrel with an A2 stock is (almost) as ugly as a 20" with a telestock. MAKE SURE YOU GET AN A3 FLATTOP UPPER! you can pay $99 for the detachable carry handle (like I did) or buy a nice flip up BUIS (back up iron sight) which will go nicely with whatever scope you may put on in the future. If you get an A2 (permenanly attached carry handle) you'll kick yourself for doing it later.

I hear RR is a solid piece of equipment, but I know that Bushmaster is and you will not be disappointed in the purchase.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Build one exactly the way you want it with a stripped lower and complete upper kit for way less than a Colt or Bushmaster. That's if you want to save $300 or more. But hey, that's just my opinion. I've never built a lower before, but I'm getting ready to and I'll add it to an upper kit. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on whether a fatory built rifle is worth the hundreds of dollars more than a kit. It may be, it may not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Money isn't really an object, I've got about $1200 of the g/f money to spend (she's great!).

She have a sister?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Bushmaster Superlight with 6 position stock and A3 upper.  Light, handy, (pretty) accurate.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wow!  Thanks for all the response, they've helped a bunch.  hat

OD-I live in Lexington, how about you?  You know of any good ranges in KY besides Knob Creek?

Thanks!

Erik Johnson

AR15.com Kentucky Forum Theres a thread about Kentucky Ranges, i saw a few in Lexington in there. I am in Louisville. There was Rays Indoor shooting range, ive only been there and Knob Creek, but i think Rays got broken into and didnt have enough insurance or something so they had to close. Im not positive about it. They got all the guns back that were stolen too. Anyway, i havnt heard about that new range, the more the merrier.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

hock.gifShe have a sister? hr

Sorry, only child.  All mine!

Although, she's not *really* just giving me the money, it's my engagment present.  Still, way cool.  hanks
Erik Johnson
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top