Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2003 12:25:14 PM EDT
Hey Y'all.  Shot my three gun matches last year with an M-1 Carbine.  Decided to upgrade this year so on Friday I bought a Bushmaster A-2 with 16" barrel.  On Sat. I went to the local gun show and purchased two 30 rnd. mags.  I had read Troy's FAQ and consequently recognized the "Center Industries" stamp on the floor plate.  Should have read it more closely though because on closer inspection I find that:

One mag has 6P199 stamped in the side
    and on the floor plate, along with 04/00
    stamped in the side.

The other has the stamping on the floor
    plate but the only other marking is
    62667 stamped in the side.

If the second mag has had anything ground off and refinished, I'd like to get the boy to work on my truck, its a beautiful job.

Got a three gun coming up next Sat. so I'm going to have to use them for the time being but if these are illegal mags, I'll get rid of them.

Absolutely love the rifle, my first experience with the black gun.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Only the one with "04/00" on it is illegal. It's a post ban since the date is after the cut off in 1994. If I were you what I would do is find a $5.00 preban USA 30rnd mag and destory the body on it. Then what you have done is used the post ban body as a "replacement part" which is 100% legal. But if I were you I'd hang on to the damaged body uncase you ever need to prove yourself.

Anyways, the second mag is completely legal. Any chance there is a emerald green follower with white numbers stamped on it? Either way, the Center Industries floor plate on the bottom is incorrect, as Colt stamped their 30rnd bodies "62667" in the late 60s. Someone probably just swapped out the parts.

Hope this helps,

Cody @ Magazine Specialties
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks ComputerGuy.  Geez, do you have to have a law degree to shoot this fine weapon or is it just a good idea?  Black follower in the Colt mag, light green in the outlaw.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
i went and looked at my dads mags and they dont have any of those numbers on them. my dad had them when he was in the army around 1976 or something. looked on the 20 round mags and the 30 round mags but still no numbers
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i went and looked at my dads mags and they dont have any of those numbers on them. my dad had them when he was in the army around 1976 or something. looked on the 20 round mags and the 30 round mags but still no numbers
View Quote

If the mags are that old then they aren't going to have any dates on them other than maybe cage codes.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The Colt 30s with the 62667 on the body were the early 30rnd mags that Colt produced.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
In North Carolina put the post ban mag away real good and wait until 9/14/04. Center never marked them and that's screwed us and BATFE up.

Go to the NC gun shows to find quality pre-ban mags for your matches.

CRC
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top