Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2006 2:23:54 PM EDT
Hey guys,

New to the Carbine realm and was considering one this weekend from CMMG.
I saw on their site they have "Mod 4" and "M4" and "M4 SOCOM" as well as just regular AR carbines with no extra names, mentioned on their firearms site.

Any chance someone could explain the differences between these? They are all the same price so what exactly is different about them?

Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend reading a little before buying.  

Do some searches on the designations your interested in and see what pops up.
It is better to do a little homework instead of just asking for someone to do the work for you......

Welcome aboard!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've looked online, all I get are specs, which don't seem too different if at all. I can't find any comparison links, hence the post here. Wheneve ri looked up M4 socom, all I got was the stock description, I didn't think that was the difference?

I wasn't trying to have someone do homework for me, I just kept running into a dead end with researching the practical differences between these models.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've looked online, all I get are specs, which don't seem too different if at all. I can't find any comparison links, hence the post here. Wheneve ri looked up M4 socom, all I got was the stock description, I didn't think that was the difference?

I wasn't trying to have someone do homework for me, I just kept running into a dead end with researching the practical differences between these models.

Well, looking at the barrels on CMMG, I only see them use the MOD4 and MOD4 A1 SOCOM as descriptions.  The difference between the two:  the SOCOM is heavier underneath the handguards than the MOD4.  The MOD4 is gov't. profile and the SOCOM is a medium profile.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
...and don't M4 imply bigger dewhickys in the thingamajib?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So its just a heavier barrel? Hrmm...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a very competitive market and dealers have to keep moving... To this end, there are lots of names made up for different (sometimes quite subtle differences) packages, in hopes to catch the buyers eye -- nothing in the world wrong with this, it is good marketing really and shows that some people are willing to pay attention to the current trends and respond.

I read a really good artical about how car manufacturers pick names for new cars, it is really very involved... of course, you could only guess that you could make the best car on the planet and sales would not be so great if you called it the Duche Bag 600. I was joking around with one of the manufacturers the other day about making two kickass, top of the line barrel configurations and calling them the "Poser" and the "Wannabe"...

Probably not going to happen...

Anyway, the best bet with trying to decipher who is who at the zoo, is to contact the vendor directly and ask them "what is different about the Zombie HuntAR-15 (r) from a regular A4 carbine?" -- this will also give you a good feel of the person's knowledge of what they are selling and you will most likely find that most of the good guys on here are more than willing to mix-and-match to get you what you want...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top