Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 8:01:11 PM EDT
Personally, I see step one of this build as figuring out what is going into the lower and then buying it.  Here goes nothing, please stop me if any of these parts won't fit together or  if you see any parts that can be replaced with better parts that cost about the same.

-Bushmaster  XM15 E2S Stripped Lower
-DPMS Lower Parts Kit
-Hogue Monogrip pistol grip
-ACE ARFX skeletal stock

Basically the concept I'm after is a 20'' AR15 rifle that somewhat resembles the SPR the special forces are using as a counter sniper rifle.  I plan on attaching a A3 flatop upper, so if you see any issues with this please chim in.  Thanks again for your help, this website is really an awesome resource!!!

P.S.- I looked up the firearms laws for my state (IL) online and it turns out I have to apply for a card idenifying me as a firearm owner in order to get my hands on a lower receiver.  I downloaded the application, and it'll be in the mail as of Saturday.   If anyone knows the turnaround for this, please chim in, so I can give myself a timetable of when I can start building.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello,
Your shopping list looks good. Nothing really needs changed, go for it. Now about your FOID card, I'd say your looking at 3-6 weeks, most likely 5. One of our computer store customers is ISP who is in the FOID card department. He just said they are turning out 16,000 apps a month with 3-5 people. He is usually in Chicago for a "special" task force. He is also involved in a revamp of the FOID card itself. It will probably take a while so don't wait.

I just put together my newest build tonight. It took about 20 mins. and I didn't leave a mark on it. The first one, earlier this year took about 30 mins. and I beat the hell out of it. Take your time, it's not hard, use this link
www.bushmaster.com/documents/disassembly_view_bushmaster_xm15.asp. Only two tips come to mind. I use a thin rubber (not foam) mouse pad to protect the lower from my mighty hammer and use a punch to drive the pins in. Hitting them directly with the hammer will deform them a little or atleast mare them up.

Also, think it through before you drive it home. Make it make sense first, taking it all apart to get one spring or pin from here or there, to put in it's right place, SUCKS.

Good luck, check in the hometown, illinois forum if you haven't already done so.
Mike
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Does that ACE ARFX stock already come with a tube, spring and buffer?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
FOID card??   WTF?  You have to have a license to buy a rifle?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:36:42 AM EDT
[#4]
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............................................................FOID

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]
the 100 dollar version does come with internals the 65 dollar one from brownells does not. You can usualy find good prices for them in the "guns-n-Stuff" publication.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=70Just bought mine here under $!00.00 with shipping.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=70Just bought mine here under $!00.00 with shipping.

I think I might swap out my A2 stock for one.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top