Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/8/2003 7:34:28 PM EDT
Guys (and Gals) I need some advice here...

Just got a new RRA Entry Tac M4 w/ chrome lined barrel and am in love (read awesome trigger)... Im about to venture into the land of garage gunsmithing and have a free float handguard to install. My understanding of the RRA M4 is that the faux muzzle device is pressed (not pined) on and Im not real sure how to get it off. If its not possible to get it off, does anyone make a two piece gasblock that would clamp on once I cut (cringe) off the factory sight/gasblock??? If this question has been asked in the past, please post a link so i can save everyone the time!

Thank you very much in advance!

firecop45acp
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:33:49 PM EDT
Firecop, I called RRA last week about this...they guy said they press those brakes on with a 6 ton arbor press. He said he has heard of people getting them off with a LOT of effort, my conversation with him made me rethink the whole project. Fresh from ruining a perfectly good Armalite upper receiver with another WECSOG episode, I wasn't taking any chances. I decided to get the Fobus M44 handguards. They're ok, but not as strong as the metal ones, obviously. The only thing I have mounted on them is a cheap tactical light, and my ACE vertical grip. As for getting it off, you might try putting the upper in the freezer for a while, and then just kroil the hell out of the flash hider, and see if a hammer and punch will get it off. I'm sure you'll need two sets of hands, 'cos my guess is you'll have to beat on the flash hider fairly hard to get it loose. Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:49:10 AM EDT
Hate to say it, but you're stuck with it as is. There is no 2-piece gas block out there. Buy another barrel (threaded) if you really want to free-float the unit. You probably could sell the original barrel here quick enough to recoup some $.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:24:24 AM EDT
Bravo is right, you will probably ruin the barrel trying to remove the fake flash H. Just buy a new barrel and sell this one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:54:46 AM EDT
There is someone around here (equipment exchange?) who was offering the service of cutting the FFH off the RRA barrel and re-crowning the barrel. It was posted a few months ago and if I remember his prices were decent (something like $70). It may be an option for you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:16:33 AM EDT
Thanks for the advice! I had also heard that they were pressed on under high pressure, guess its time to regroup!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:43:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By neilfj: There is someone around here (equipment exchange?) who was offering the service of cutting the FFH off the RRA barrel and re-crowning the barrel. It was posted a few months ago and if I remember his prices were decent (something like $70). It may be an option for you.
View Quote
adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:08:14 AM EDT
Compass Lake will do it, too. I sent my buggered up Armalite upper to them, to have the muzzle brake cut off and the barrel recrowned. The figure I remember was around $50, but that didn't include shipping either way. I'm expecting the upper back here in a few days, I can let you all know what the final bill was.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:19:42 AM EDT
That would be great Fenian, Im pretty good with the dremmel tool, and am currently fighting off the urge to take the cutting wheel to it. Im really not sure who will win at this point... Im also toying with the idea of ordering a bushy M4 (or superlight) barrel to put on and sell the barrel on EE... I hate these decisions...
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:27:08 AM EDT
Just a little precaution, the RRA barrel with pressed on FFH is a 16", cutting off the section that the FFH is pressed on will effectively shortened the barrel to about 14.5".
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:19:21 AM EDT
Thanks to all who assisted me in this post... I was able to fight off the Dremmel Dragon, and broke down and called Bushmaster this morning... by early next week my RRA will be host to a new post ban superlight barrel with a naked muzzle. Again, thank you and I will now be returning to lurker mode! Firecop
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:08:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By firecop45acp: Thanks to all who assisted me in this post... I was able to fight off the Dremmel Dragon, and broke down and called Bushmaster this morning... by early next week my RRA will be host to a new post ban superlight barrel with a naked muzzle. Again, thank you and I will now be returning to lurker mode! Firecop
View Quote
What are the specs on that barrel (weight and diameter) and how much did it cost?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:47:52 AM EDT
Wanna sell the RRA barrel?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:10:20 AM EDT
Black Rifle, I went direct with Bushmaster, as I haven’t managed to find any distributors who sold anything other than complete rifles. According to the catalog it is "their lightest 16in barrel ever" but they don’t list a weight... I do know that their patrolman’s carbine weighs in at about 2.14lbs. In terms of dimensions it is .625 forward of the chamber. I paid 209.95 plus shipping on it. Rather than have to start swapping out parts from my RRA barrel I just had them send out the whole barrel assembly.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:43:29 AM EDT
Fatman, Yes I am interested in selling the barrel assemmbly (just took it off the upper) heres the poop on it... RRA M4 Chrome Lined with pressed on false flash suppressor only fired at the factory It came with what appears to be the Faux M4 handguards (right size and shape, but only appear to be single lined. I got a little anxious and took off the bottom sling loop, which Ill put in with it. Also included is the gas tube and the RRA Side Sling Swivel. Lastly, I may have boogered the gas tube roll pin, so you may want to put a new one in... If interested feel free to drop me an IM or email! Thanks firecop Since you guys helped me out with the info, ill give ya first dibs on it, if no one is interested, Ill post in in EE.
Top Top