Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 4:34:28 PM EDT
I am new to this forum, and to the "AR" line of rifles. I would like to add an AR to my growing collection. I am preparing to make my first purchase, and at this point all I know for sure is Bushmaster, and Colt are respected and trusted names. I have been shooting for several years, and I am mostly self taught. I am very capable of building a rifle, and I have noticed that purchasing the parts separately will save me a good bit of money. I also know that I want to do as much research as possible before purchasing any parts, or attempting to assemble this rifle myself. I have read several posts on this Forum, and have ofund them to be very helpful. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone is willing to give.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Dan, I'm kinda in the same boat as you.  Keep digging, there seems to be a wealth of information on this forum, but you have to try to filter some of the posts.  Sometimes good information appears in threads you don't expect.

The AR Discussions, the 'Build it Yourself' and the Equipment Exchange are especially helpful.

Just from my reading, it appears that there are a lot of brands making well made mil spec components.  Bushy, RRA, Mega, Stag lowers all seem to be looked on with favor by many.  I'm waiting on a bushy lower from Eagle for my first build right now.

For the uppers, it seems like Model 1 offers a good price/performance/quality break out, so I'm gonna get my upper from them.  A lot will depend on exactly what you want to do with it: a plinker vs. a match rifle vs. a self/home defense weapon, AND how much disposable income you have.

Welcome aboard, it promises to be a great ride now that we can put any of the gadgets we want on them!!!  

Don't be afraid to ask questions, the experienced guys seem to be willing to share their knowledge as long as you don't ask about something that got answered 2 threads before yourshe
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Want advice?

Read, read, read.... then read some more.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for your responses. I have found some intersesting reads in the forums, and its also nice to know I,m not the only new guy on the forum.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
go with model 1 upper and a olympic lower for and entry level project....im extremly happy with mine .. and they go together well. but there is one problem that i have allways had when building them that urks me to this day......the spring and detent that holds the front pin on the lower receiver.....if you dont use a tool and try to do it with will power that detent and spring will travel real far.(break out the metal detector, virtually impossible to find in high pyle, hehe.)   other than that. it really should only take 2 hours max to put the lower together. im glad i went through model 1. sure beats paying 600-700 bucks or more on a bushmaster. even if you dont know anything about the gun itself, its good to put one together so you can know it inside and out. good luck with whatever you choose, if you have any problems with assembly, youll find help here..these guys love to talk, so do i, hehe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I have already decided that Model 1 will be my upper. I have to make decisions on chambering, and barrel length, but I think I'll try a MEGA lower. I've read a lot of good things about them here, and the money is right. Being my first build, I want to get as much as I can quality wise for my budget. And as you noted, I cannot afford a Bushy or an Armalite. But I am reaaly good with my hands...just ask the wife...

Dan
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You will need some tools. Get a set of regular punches and roll pin punches in the sizes listed under the description on how to build your lower.

If you don't have a vice I would get a pre assembled upper receiver.

When you assemble your lower put double layers of cloth bandage tape near the holes where you will be driving pins. This will help to prevent scratching the receiver.

Don't drink and build

Be paitent with putting it together, speed will come later.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top