Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 6:01:34 PM EDT
I feel stupid asking this, but here goes.  I have an EoTech mounted on my flat top upper and I zeroed it according to EoTech's website, but when I do it is high and to the left.  How do you zero a scope that the reticle moves depending on your position?  Help please.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The EoTech is bolted tight on the rifle and I don't have a BUIS.  My zeroing procedure is fire a shot, adjust and fire again.  My problem is that depending on how you grip the rifle the reticle moves.  If I adjust my head to the left, the reticle is in a different spot.  Are you supposed to try to position your head the same way everytime?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I generally try to keep the dot somewhat near the center of the reticle when I'm zeroing [IE I don't zero with the dot off in one of the corners of the window].  (I don't think you have to, but I do think it matters a little at 25meters and esspecially closer than 25meters.)

So if your shooting further than 25meters don't worry about it.

All you have to do past 25meters is keep the entire 65MOA ring inside the window and your POI will not be affected.

That't the point of the sight- past 25meters it doesn't matter where the dot is - the shot is going where the dot is.  Under 25 there may be a very slight aiming error (like inside 2 inches) and inside five yards you could probably produce more deviation but you'ld have to be trying like looking through the site slightly sideways or something.  Under normal use, it won't happen.

Try firing three rounds and ajusting the POI off the center of the three rounds (the mean POI)  You'll probably find youself feeling less like a dog chasing its tail.  The zero procedure for the US Army is like 1CM low at 25meters if I remember correcty  I think that should be 3-5 clicks down elevation from a dead center zero at 25m.  That zero will have you inside an E-type silouette out to 300meters when mounted on a flattop upper with no riser.

If your barrel isn't free floated and you change pressure on the handguards your POI will change slightly so if that is the case, make sure your rifle is RESTING [as in soley under it's own weight] on your support hand and that you aren't putting downward pressure on it with the pistol grip whenever you are shooting for precision which would include zeroing and anything over 150meters.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It's paralax-free. Where ever the reticle is, regardless of your cheekwell, point of impact will be at point of aim.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I zeroed it according to EoTech's website, but when I do it is high and to the left.  

Then by definition you have NOT zero'd the sight.  As the other poster said, try holding your head so the reticle is centered, and fire a 3 shot group.  The adjustments for the EOTech will only move the POI 1/8 inch per click at 25 yards, BTW.

Paladin
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top