Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2003 5:06:42 PM EDT
I have decided to take the plunge into the world of Black Rifles.  I grew up on military bases and loved shooting M-16's during the mid 80's.  So for some sentimental reason I really want a Colt.  I am pretty set on the Model M6400C M4 (I got to play with my wife's GAU before she shipped out and it was great) and have found a new one for just under a grand.  My concern is that I have heard that the Colt lower may not be compatible with uppers from other makers. Also that the internals may be of different sizes than other makers.  Is this still the case? Should it impact my decision to buy a Colt? I searched past posts but didn't find this exact topic. I already know that I will end up buying more, seems to be a worse hobby than crack, so I am expecting the barage of "Buy a Bushy, Buy an Armalite"  What I want to hear is if there is any reason NOT to buy the Colt. I want to buy a factory complete for my first to get used to it without having to worry about building it.  If I enjoy it I'm sure at least two MEGA lowers will be in the mail a few weeks after I buy the colt.  Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
 What I want to hear is if there is any reason NOT to buy the Colt. ....
View Quote

No reason whatsoever not to buy it. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn it, the prancing pony ain't a dead horse! [:d][beathorse]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
First, Welcome! [beer]

Second, if you want the Colt then get it.  You will not be disappointed.  The hammer and trigger pins are larger than mil-spec but other than that it's a fine rifle that comes standard with M4 handguards, side-sling mount, M4 feed ramps, 1/7 chrome-lined twist barrel, "T" numbered flattop upper, new style bolt carrier, "M4" stamped upper and
"M4 Carbine" stamped lower.  

Like I said, you won't be disappointed [;)]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
For all their quirks, Colt still makes a damn fine rifle.  I own four of them and they have NEVER let me down.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my COLTS!  So will you!  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a Colt A2 preban lower and mated it with a 16" lightweight bbl. upper from M&A Parts. They fit fine, nice and tight, and shoot well.
I'd go for it...
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]
there are two reports in the Colt forum about the Miculek Compensator blowing off. I believe this to be the case with earlier rifles using rollpins to retain the Miculek. My later June manufactured rifle has solid material pins holding it on(the other one from March uses the rollpins)......so If you buy a new one, you might want to eye-spy the pins.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#8]
You cant install the best trigger made into a Colt.... The KAC 2 stage.  It comes in milspec pin sizes only.  Colt does not stand up for your rights to own an assault rifle as a civilian if that matters to you.  You could get identical features for less money and not have a sear block if you went with another manufacturer.  Is the pony on the side worth that much to you?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#9]
There's just something about a Colt that makes me want to have at least one.  I'm sure that my the end of the year I'll own one or two more AR's of my own creation.  I appreciate all your input.  There's a gunshow next weekend that I'm going to check out to see if I can find a comparable price, if not I'll order it the following monday.  I haven't been to a show in 12 years, any tips on things that I might find a good deal on?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]
What I want to hear is if there is any reason NOT to buy the Colt
View Quote

Would you like to see plenty of reasons why you [i]should[/i] by a Colt? [url=http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000497.html]Read this[/url]

Read every single post-it will take you about 40 minutes to get through it. It is a frank and honest discussion about the deficiencies of each major brand of AR by some of the most respected armorers, operators, and instructors in the country. There is no fanboyism and no pussyfooting around. Having Ned Christiansen, Pat Rogers, Hilton Yam, and Gary Roberts among others together in an open discussion is about as good as it gets.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:53:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not a fan of the postban Colts.  Save up for a preban if you can.  

Otherwise, postban Bushmaster is a good alternative and can be gotten for less.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#12]
CJan_NH that is a good link, but it doesn't really apply so much to this discussion since they are talking about LEO Colts not civilian Colts, there is a very real difference.  The MT6400C is a civilian rifle, as a result, you may get one that has properly spec'd parts or you may get one that is a mismash of parts that failed specs for their LEO/Military offerings.  That said, the 6400 is probably the only current civilian Colt rifle worth buying, and if you are lucky, it will be built with quality parts.  I would say it is a toss up between Colt and BM on their postban M4 offerings.  Both have pros and cons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top