Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 11:56:47 AM EDT
I am looking at the instructions for the step by step. Is it absolutely necessary to install the gas tube only after the barrel has been assembled to the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am looking at the instructions for the step by step. Is it absolutely necessary to install the gas tube only after the barrel has been assembled to the receiver?

Yes.  Until you get the barrel nut torqued and aligned, you cannot insert the gas tube into the receiver.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
FOLLOW UP QUESTION

How tight does the barrel nut need to be? If I tighten it all the way it seems to be about a little less than a quarter turn past where the has tube needs to go. But with it lined up it doesnt feel snug enough.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
You may have to back off and re-tighten two or three times to get the proper torque and alignment.

I believe the torque spec is supposed to be minimum 30lbs. with a maximum of 80lbs.

ETA:  Check out THIS LINK
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top