Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/17/2003 8:29:21 PM EDT
A friend of mine has what I believe is a M96x SureFire light. He mounted it on his rifle and took it off only to put it in a box, he replaced it with the SureFire Light that is built into the forward grip,I'm not sure of the model number. He showed me the receipt for the other light , he paid a little over $300 for it. Here are my problems, money...money..money!

I know you get what you pay for and since this is going on a duty rifle I should not cheap out but I can't afford the set up that I wanted to get but I need  a good weapon light that has a presure switch and will hold up to recoil.

I was going to get the light from my friend and mount on a A.R.M.S. bilevel S.I.R. but that is no longer a option.

Can you recomend somthing?Is ther some thing that will work for me around $150 or so? Also how much candle power will I give up going with whatever light you recomend versus getting the one from my friend? Thanks alot!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:07:24 PM EDT
Also can I was thinking about a Streamlight M3(plus AR rail adapter) with a pressure switch. Is there a pressure switch option with the M3? Also do you think it would hold up to 5.56 recoil?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2003 9:16:33 PM EDT by knightone]
The Pelican lights are new, but they seem to be growing in popularity.  The Surefire G2 with the addition of a shock isolated bezel is also a route you could take.  Both have the ability to take a pressure tape switch.  The Surefire classic lights are only about $180 and can come standard with a tape switch.  All three will require a separate mounting ring like a FOBUS or Knight's mount.  Personally, I would go for the Surefire Classic, but since this is not a duty gun, I think you could chance it with the G2 or the pelican.  Both seem to be growing in popularity for a inexpensive, general use weapon light.

Try here:  [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=165056]Bright Flashlights[/url].  If there is something you need, he seems to be very helpful and seems to be able to track just about anything down for you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:50:11 PM EDT
Thanks Knightone, I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:58:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
Also can I was thinking about a Streamlight M3(plus AR rail adapter) with a pressure switch. Is there a pressure switch option with the M3? Also do you think it would hold up to 5.56 recoil?
View Quote

I know there is a pressure switch assembly available, at least there used to be.  However, I have never seen anyone use it.  Quite a few people have mounted the M3 to their ARs with no problems.  There is quite a bit more inertia due to muzzle flip and felt recoil with p[istols than your average 5.56mm weapon, so I imagine it should be good to go.  Although I have heard it doesn't have quite the "throw" of light that others do.  While it has enough light projection for a sidearm, I don't think it would be as useful for a long arm except in CQB.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:19:03 PM EDT
Okay I'm thinking now...stand back. The G2 that you mention, would I be able to illuminate an area say to 30 to 40 yds? Also the link that you gave me is a little confusing to me. How much would it cost me to mount the G2 on a rail with a pressure switch?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2003 6:00:36 PM EDT by BrightFlashlights]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:56:09 PM EDT
I have a M3 that mounts on a set of M4 HG's at 10 oclock.

Close range only ( 0 to 20yds. not blinding )
Would not count on durability
With a tape switch you would be lucky to make it 1/3rd the way through a gun fight without a brakage.

There fine on pistols, and if you wanted to use only one light for both, it would be a good way to go. ( NO PRESSURE PAD ! )

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:57:41 AM EDT
Thanks alot guys, I'm still wondering how I can swing it to get my buddy's light. If I get the G2, I'll get it from Bright Flash Lights.
Top Top