Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2007 4:52:18 PM EDT
Is it better to build your own AR-15 or to purchase? I don't have the money to buy a whole rifle, but I do want to get the parts before someone decides to ban them again. I'm looking for the lower correct? I've got a good amount of tools to complete the build. Should I purchase from the net or from my local firearms retailer? Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it better to build your own AR-15 or to purchase? I don't have the money to buy a whole rifle, but I do want to get the parts before someone decides to ban them again. I'm looking for the lower correct? I've got a good amount of tools to complete the build. Should I purchase from the net or from my local firearms retailer? Thanks for the info.

Building vs. buying is subjective. To a first timer I'd suggest buying either a stripped or complete lower & a complete upper. Then you just push pins...mate the two halves & you have a complete rifle without having paid FET. You may also have a warranty if you have a lower & upper from the same company. Building is fine as well, but you prolly won't have a warranty. There are many reputable online shops to buy what you want. You would know better than the rest of here reference what your local shops offer.

Read a lot here & research a lot on the web before you make the plunge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The hardest part of building an AR is getting the barrel properly attached to the upper.  I found that for me (until I start a more exotic build) is to but a complete upper from stag arms for about $490 (with bolt carrier group).  and build your lower from scratch.  The lower is simple to put together, and you will save $ by putting exactly what you want into it instead of buying all the parts only to remove and replace them.  

Also, for "ban" purposes, I do believe (IIRC) you have to have it "built" before the ban hit.  having a stripped lower that has NEVER been a complete rifle isn't going to do the trick.  (IIRC)
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally for me, i found it a lot cheaper to build my own rifle.  My dealer had tons of stag arms stripped lowers for 109$ which is cheap because i didnt have to pay 10-20$ extra for shipping off the internet and an extra 25$ for the transfer fee.  I spent about 3 months pricing everything out so that i could get a ball park figure.   At first i just wanted to buy a completed rifle but then thanks to this "BUILD IT YOURSELF" forum, i felt comfortable enough to construct my own.  The gun turned out fine and everyone here was polite and answered all my questions when i had them.  GOOD LUCK!!!

~ISherman
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you found a complete rifle that is EXACTLY the way you want it? If so, and you have the money to buy it outright, then there you go.

Personally, I'm a big believer in building. If you like this style or twist rate of barrel, but that type of stock, for example, then building it is the way to go. Especially if you're like me, who has to build their guns one part per payday. Why spend money on a complete rifle that has parts that you don't want and are just going to change out anyway. Build it the way you want from the start. Unless of course, you're one of those Colt collector freaks who will leave it in the box and never shoot it, in hopes of selling it for a bazillion dollars one day.

Do you like onions on your burger? I don't, that why I go to Burger King, so I can have it my way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If you just want something to get you in the door...check these out..

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&&cat=33&

$565 shipped or $585 shipped if you want all black furniture. That is CHEAP. All of them are Flattop M4 style w/ 16" 1:9 Barrels. Put what you want on them later and you wont have to feel bad since it was cheap to start with. Just my .02.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top