Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 7:04:02 PM EDT
I'm using  Hoppes no.9 Lubricating Oil in my AR.
If the oil is flammable, will the oil caught fire while the shell is ejecting?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the oil will not CATCH fire...
Oil will smoke off of the barrel if you get it hot enough...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#2]
NO... but drag a dry patch through the barrel before firing, make sure the bore and chamber is free of  exess oil before firing any gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Get some CLP - such as Break Free.

It's the "proper" lubricant, since it's a cleaner, lubricant and protectorant.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Hoppes No. 9 is not an appropriate lube for your AR. It is best used as a cleaner despite claiming lubrication properties on the bottle. Use a CLP to lube (and clean ,and protect). I use Breakfree and FP-10.

Although flammable there is no danger of fire in the rifle (if smoking at your cleaning bench I would be careful) there should  be little solvent in the rifle and the rifle is designed to contain violent explosions that generate high heat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top