Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:52:21 AM EDT
After reading many posts, & checking out the Bushmaster/RRA/DPMS sites; I would like to create my own rifle - DCM/NM upper set-up with a 6 position telestock. Has anyone built 1 along these lines? In Bushy's catalog they make it sound rather easy by just "snapping" the complete upper receiver to the complete lower, & voila; a rifle has been born! Now some questions:

1) How hard is this to do when you're provided with complete upper/lower sets (must remember I'm a AR newb & have little experience with this breed of rifle). What tools; if any; would be needed?

2) Sticking with 1 brand ie all Bushy, or all RRA easier to assemble vs a complete upper from RRA & a complete lower from Bushy or DPMS?

3) Can someone like Steve @ ADCO or Pete @ AR Sales/Legal Transfers build such a rifle @ a reasonable cost, or should I save the $$$ for ammo & build myself?

4) Is 1 brand of complete upper (and complete lower as well) easier to work with, or is considered of better quality/value/best bang for da buck?

5) Who has good prices on such uppers/lowers?

6) As a newb; am I annoying anyone yet Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a complete upper and lower receiver than all it takes is a push of 2 pins and you have yourself a complete rifle. As far as one company being easier to work with than another.. no they are all compatible and all the parts should fit each other and be interchangable.

Far as prices go.. check the EE here to find great deals. The big names like RRA Bushy etc are all great companies and produce great products... cant go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you have a complete upper and lower receiver than all it takes is a push of 2 pins and you have yourself a complete rifle. As far as one company being easier to work with than another.. no they are all compatible and all the parts should fit each other and be interchangable.

Far as prices go.. check the EE here to find great deals. The big names like RRA Bushy etc are all great companies and produce great products... cant go wrong with any of them.

2 pins? What's needed to "push" both upper & lower together? Any special tools? Are these "pins" included with a complete upper/complete lower, or are they purchased separately?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The two pins are push pins.  You need no tools, well, probably not.  At first they can be a little tight, and a small plastic push rod thingy might be needed.  A ball point pen is generally enough.  The pins are part of the lower and are made to be pushed in and out for cleaning.

Honestly, putting rounds in the magazine is harder than putting an upper and lower together.  It is about a 1 or 10 on technical difficulty.

From the aspect of resale value, keeping one brand is usually a good way to go.

Sure someone can build the rifle for you, but if you buy a complete upper and lower, it would be pointless to have someone put it together for you.

Check the EE, as many of the vendors post there.  Shop around and you will probably learn a few things.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
seriously, they're captive takedown pins. they come attached to the lower. all you do is pull them out, place the upper on top of lower, push pins back in,  nothin to it, and i mean NOTHING.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
- whoops... sorry -
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top