Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2006 8:23:45 PM EDT
I've been able to get my hands of all the most popular non-magnified optics at shows and stores.  I really like them all (Aimpoint, Trijicon Reflex, EOTech, etc.).  I just don't know about the ones with OFF/ON switches and home/self defence.  Its got to be ready at a moments notice or do you have a setup where you can always see your iron sights through the optic?  I really like all the sights mentioned above (some better than others but I would need more time with them to find a favorite).  I'm trying to weigh the +'s & -'s of a Trijicon Reflex with no need of batteries and a risk of washout vs. the off/on switch of the Aimpoint and Eotech but with the superior brightness of their reticle.

Does the Reflex only washout when you're standing in a dark area aiming the rifle outside into the sun light?  If the irons are visible through the Reflex then is this a non-issue?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Well unless you are going to be toting an AR around for self defense, I'd think you'd have time to turn on a switch as you are retreiving it while in your home.
The newer Aimpoint go around 10,000 hours on a battery....that's over a year, so turn it on and leave it on

Mike
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If you get the Aimpoint you can turn it on and leave it on like he said.

If it's a weapon that you feel needs to always be ready to use then yes, you should have iron sights that are configured for immediate use.

If it's life and death and at indoor ranges then who cares if teh sight is turned on or not.  Jsut use the optic as a really big rear aperture.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The newer Aimpoint go around 10,000 hours on a battery....that's over a year, so turn it on and leave it on

Actually, its 50,000hrs, which is over 5 years.

Sharps, if you cant train yourself to roll the Aimpoints power knob into the appropriate on position, or leave the damn thing on at night in first place, then you probably can't train yourself to charge the weapon to begin with.

You're overthinking this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Bingo!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is really a big concern to you, just leave the BUIS up, this way, in an emergency if you don't have time to turn the Red Dot on, just use the BUIS.  Or just get the Trijicon Tri-Power.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sharps, if you cant train yourself to roll the Aimpoints power knob into the appropriate on position, or leave the damn thing on at night in first place, then you probably can't train yourself to charge the weapon to begin with.

+1 Well said
In stress you will perform as you train. So train to turn on your optic as you deploy you weapon. Remember training is more than just being able to shoot well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I would add that if you're using an AR for home defense, you'd hopefully have other layers of defense in line first, as the gun is the last line of defense... Alarm system, dog, etc. can buy you time to retrieve and ready your weapon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#10]
personally, i'd rather have irons for HD.  in fact, i'd go as far as to say i wouldn't want anything on that gun besides a weapons light.

...but that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
personally, i'd rather have irons for HD.  in fact, i'd go as far as to say i wouldn't want anything on that gun besides a weapons light.

...but that's just me.

And theres no real fault with that line of logic either.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
The newer Aimpoint go around 10,000 hours on a battery....that's over a year, so turn it on and leave it on hrs,

I respectfully disagree.  I try to always image what an EXTREME life and death adrenaline rush would be like.  The simplest things would be forgotten.  I can't see practicing turning the optic on to the extent that most practice charging their gun or turning off the safty.  It adds a third step to getting the gun ready for action.  But Its VERY nice to know the Aimpoint lasts so long.  I think I will take a closer look at it.  And Yes, I tend to over think everything to the point that I can hardly make certain purchasing decisions.  Sorry
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The simplest things would be forgotten.  

So I guess reasonable sight alignment, trigger control and any sort of tactics go out the window too?

COMPLEX things can turn to crap UNLESS theres been muscle memory built up.
Turning on an Aimpoint isnt any more complex than yanking the charging handle or manipulating the safety.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
The simplest things would be forgotten.  

So I guess reasonable sight alignment, trigger control and any sort of tactics go out the window too?

COMPLEX things can turn to crap UNLESS theres been muscle memory built up.
Turning on an Aimpoint isnt any more complex than yanking the charging handle.

Reasonable sight alignment, chambering rounds, turning the safty on and off and trigger control are ALWAYS getting practiced.  I guess I could practice turning on the optic too but its the combination of all these acts together that make it a mistake waiting to happen.  But this is really a none issue now if I get the Aimpoint and just leave it on and co-witness the irons.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That only on the new M3.

The M2 is 10K
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]
My ML2 has been on for well over a year on the second to brightest setting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#18]
If your AR's the go-to gun then I'd set it up with irons and a pressure switch light.  I've used that setup to practice room clearing around the house in the dark.  Using the large aperture and lighting the room with my surefire works great.  Practice point/snap shooting too, that will be your strength in a CQ environment.  You may not have time to line up the front and rear sight in time to hit your target when SHTF in your hallway.

I usually keep a shotgun or pistol handy for house encounters.  If the AR replaces them(rarely) then the Aimpoint goes back in the safe.  If I had to grab it and go into the next room all I want to have to do is disengage the safety.  The pressure switch for my light is placed where I grip the handguards, so it's all natural.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That only on the new M3.

The M2 is 10K

Key phrase highlighted...
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're worried about spending a few dollars on a battery get BUIS you can see even if it is off in case you're ever in a situation like that. Or if you're like me and your gun doesn't have a removeable carrying handle use a rail you can see through under the optic.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top