Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 12:53:18 PM EDT
why does the 9mm pistol uppers i see have such obvious brass deflectors compared to that of .40, .45, 10mm pistol uppers?  Those seem to use standard ar15 uppers.

what would happen if the 9mm upper had a regular .223 deflector?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
why does the 9mm pistol uppers i see have such obvious brass deflectors compared to that of .40, .45, 10mm pistol uppers?  Those seem to use standard ar15 uppers.

what would happen if the 9mm upper had a regular .223 deflector?

Colt, RRA, and the others that make a 9mm use a slab side with the 9mm shell deflector.  Olympic Arms is the only mfr (besides custom made jobs) of the .40, 45, 10mm.  Oly uses a standard 223 upper and doesn't use the 9mm deflector on their uppers.  They probably don't because it's cheaper to manufacture only one kind of upper receiver for all of their rifles.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the response.  SO it seems it's 'better' to have the deflector, but not manditory.  I have the oly. .40SW myself with the standard .223 deflector.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
after thousands of rounds through my colt the deflector looks new.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Are you suggesting that it does not hit the deflector, and is therefore unecessary, or that they hold up well?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, Colt called it a gas deflector, not a shell deflector.  In case you don't know, it's not part of the upper itself, but a seperate assembly that can, if you want, be added to any standard upper.  It consists of the large plastic part you see, a small spring and a half port cover.  Brownells sells everything you need.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
it may indeed deflecy gas, but it sure as heck has never deflected any brass on mine

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you suggesting that it does not hit the deflector, and is therefore unecessary, or that they hold up well?

either its holding up very well or the brass isnt hitting it at all.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top