Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2003 7:58:52 AM EDT

I just had new Wilson muzzle brake threaded/blind pinned by  professional gunsmith (sponsor on this board) on my 16" 1:9 twist AR15 carbine and now have seen a significant loss of accuracy, my groups are now three inches, where they were .75-inch at 100 yards. Has anybody experienced anyting like this after installing a muzzle brake?

I checked and:
1) the bullets are not skimming off the brake
2)the pin is not protruding into the barrel
3)the brake is straight.

I heard you could have a small loss of accuracy with a brake, but this amount is unacceptable...

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm...

I don't think I had any accuracy loss with my brake installed. (Wilson installed mine)

But I never really shot many groups for accuracy before putting the brake on.

I would call Wilson up and ask them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Your barrel doesn't like the extra weight in that exact location. Browning makes a brake which screws forward and backwards a little bit and that does amazing things to the group size. Looks like you drew the short straw.

It will be interesting to see what Wilson says.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you have someone machine threads on your barrel?  That could be what caused it if it was not threaded and was accurate before the threads were done.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
HIM, is probably correct. The brake has affected the barrel harmonics.  Try some different loads and see if that makes a difference.  Where as before it may have liked 55 gr bullets at 3200 fps it may now prefer something else at a different velocity but I am surprized it would increase group size by more than a inch at 100 yds. I have a wilson on my 16 BM and noticed no diff in group size.
Another thought, maybe you ran into a bad lot of ammo. So please try another brand/lot of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes they threaded it, standard threads. But it is a 0.75 inch HBAR, you would think it would be able to handle that.  I may try to change it out for one of Kurt's Faux flash hiders from KKF.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Both AR's I had with Wilson brakes were VERY accurate. I had them both installed by Wilson. They didnt seem to hurt my accuracy at all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It was not installed by wilson, and on looking at the receipt, it was actually a Cav Comp, which looks like the wilson. It was installed by K2 sports. I will try all the your suggestions, and hope for the best. The only thing I have ever fired from the rifle is Lake City XM193 and Winchester 55gr white box.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If they threaded your rifle look and see if they nicked your crown and wheher or not it has an angled crown now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top