Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 9:39:41 PM EDT
I have an Armalite M15A2 that I absolutely love. The only issue I have is that I forsee that I will eventually want optics. I am considering purchasing a stripped upeer, and swapping all my parts into it. I cannot decide if I want to go with an Armalite A3 upper and a BUIS system, or the Rock River UTE2 with the built in Irons.

This gun is used in a Law Enforcement setting as a general purpose patrol rifle. Quality and durability are of the utmost concerns. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'd get the standard A3 upper. Depending the optics you get, the built in iron sight of the UTE2 upper may be in the way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
A3 upper.  It is more versatile.  You can put on or take off whatever you want.  Configure to your heart's desire.  A flattop scope riser can easily be added if you want to mount a scope for some longer range work.  The UTE 2 looks ghey, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A3 upper.  It is more versatile.  You can put on or take off whatever you want.  Configure to your heart's desire.  A flattop scope riser can easily be added if you want to mount a scope for some longer range work.  The UTE 2 looks ghey, IMO.

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I considered the UTE for a while, but if you think about it, it adds nothing but possible cost savings from not buying a BUIS.  You trade flexibility for that.  It's not worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The only optic I forsee mounting is an Aimpoint, which would work work just fine with the  UTE. Thank you for the input.

I think whta drew me to the UTE upper is the fact that the sight is always there, and is just as durable as the sight on my A2, since it cant and wont go anywhere. However, if the general consensus is against it, maybe I should look at the A3 instead.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The only optic I forsee mounting is an Aimpoint, which would work work just fine with the  UTE. Thank you for the input.

I think whta drew me to the UTE upper is the fact that the sight is always there, and is just as durable as the sight on my A2, since it cant and wont go anywhere. However, if the general consensus is against it, maybe I should look at the A3 instead.

You know what the right thing to do is.

Dave S

No, you don't get two donuts with the Troy BUIS.
You get a baker's dozen!!!!!!!

Just yankin' the chain.  

Dave S

Don't forget the Troy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top