Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 7:00:26 PM EDT
I just received a new 10.5 upper and bolt/carrier group and have a question about it. The bolt is a Colt BTW and I immediately changed the extractor spring in it to a Wolf XP because I keep reading about extraction issues with shorties. Anyway, I've been kind of playing around with it loading snap caps and spent shell casings to see how it extracts. The problem is I have to really slam the carrier home in order for the bolt to grab onto the casing rim.
This just doesn't seem normal to me. I'm wondering if it's like that just because everything is new or if I should put the original extractor spring back in that it came with. The extractor is marking up the casing rims slightly too. Did I do a bad thing?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You did just fine.  Just stop screwing around with snap caps and empties, and take the thing out and shoot it
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You did just fine.  Just stop screwing around with snap caps and empties, and take the thing out and shoot it

Exactly!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't wait to take it out and shoot the crap out of it.
But it does concern me a little, because when I compare it to my well broken in 16" upper which  grabs onto the case rim with no effort at all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I can't wait to take it out and shoot the crap out of it.
But it does concern me a little, because when I compare it to my well broken in 16" upper which  grabs onto the case rim with no effort at all.

Yes, the stiffer extractor spring requires a bit more "oomph" to snap the extractor over the case rim, but you'll never notice it during firing

I've got Wolff springs in the extractors of all 6 of my ARs. Not one single problem from any of them
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I asked this question over in the Troubleshooting forum also, and the general concensus seems to be "JUST SHOOT IT!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top