Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 5:17:22 PM EDT
If I am going to remove my barrel from a new unfired upper to install a free float forearm; do I have to check headspace when reinstalling the barrel?  (I have a quality torque wrench.)  Would it be safe to just torque the barrel down and fireaway?  I have never done this before, but I want to do it myself.

Any advice from seasoned professional would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joanthan
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Headspace was set at the factory. Since you are using the same parts, no headspace check will be necessary.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Headspace in an AR is determined by the dimensional relationship of the bolt and the barrel extension.  The torque of the barrel nut (which secures the barrel assembly to the upper receiver) has nothing to do with headspace in this design.

It is always prudent to have someone check the headspace before firing your AR when a new barrel or bolt combination is installed.  Changing only the handguard will have no effect on headspace.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top