Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/30/2012 9:32:40 PM EDT
OK. So I bought a new Bushmaster XM15 E2S a few weeks back and just had the opportunity to take out to the range for the first time a few days back. I'm not sure if this is a problem or if it even should be happening, but whenever I "ride" the charging handle so to speak and keep my hand on it the entire time, the round doesn't seem to chamber fully (maybe 25%). Whenever I let it loose when it is all the way back, and let it slap forward, the round chambers fine. Should this be happening? What could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.. The AR-15 was used when I bought it, and I don't mind upgrading a part or two (I've already purchased the BCM Gunfighter charging handle which will arrive shortly), but I figured if I was trying to chamber a round whether I kept my hand on the charging handle or let it sling forward, the round should chamber no matter what. So is this a problem and if so, how do I fix it? Thanks guys.. Much appreciated!

jc
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't ride the charging handle, let it fly.

If you ease it closed, press the forward assist to ensure the bolt locks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't ride the charging handle, let it fly.

If you ease it closed, press the forward assist to ensure the bolt locks.

+1 - Almost all semi-autos and autos are designed to be charged by drawing back the charging handle or slide and letting it go.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
OK. Thanks guys. I'm not too savvy with AR-15 parts so I ordered the Vltor BCM Gunfighter charging handle (medium size) for it. The charging handle that came stock with this XM15 E2S feels like a flemsy piece of garbage and this Vltor BCM Gunfighter looks real nice :) I guess I don't need it now that I have my answer, but hey, i'm sure it will be nice :D
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]
And actually the BCG that is stock on this Bushmaster doesn't feel or look the best either, maybe i'll buy a nice one of those too. Will that improve performance along with the Vltor charging handle?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Lube and use will improve function.  Let the parts wear into each other by shooting it!

What you've stated as a problem, really isn't one, so you have nothing to fix.  Now if it wasn't engaging when you rack it back and let it fly, then i'd say maybe a stronger buffer spring, but as it sits, the best you can do is shoot, oil, repeat!

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And actually the BCG that is stock on this Bushmaster doesn't feel or look the best either, maybe i'll buy a nice one of those too. Will that improve performance along with the Vltor charging handle?

The medium BCM Gunfighter is a great choice. As for the bolt, I would leave it alone unless there is an obvious problem like incorrect staking of the gas key. A bolt isn't going to affect performance, though some may be more durable than others. Unless you are in an environment where you can't afford failure, I would shoot it until it breaks, which could be a long, long time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
As has already been said there is nothing wrong with your weapon.
Personally I virtually never slingshot my ARs.
I either load from a locked back bolt or ease it closed.
If you ease it closed you do need to make sure it fully closed.
What is it about your BCG that does not feel or look the best??
Insufficient lube can cause it to feel off when working the CH, but generally new parts need some break in time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what I was doing. Easing it closed. Pretty much holding my hand on it and controlling the weight of the forward sling myself. That is when it would not fully seat the round. But as the above guy mentioned, and as I said in the post, whenever I pull it back and let it sling shot forward there is no issue. I just wanted to clarify that there was/wasn't an issue. And I now know. Thanks for the input guys :)
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Slingshot works, I just don’t like the way it marks up the upper and CH.
Besides it is not the way I was trained so I view that practice as one of those each to his own things.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
wow, just freakin wow.  I dont like to charge my weapon the way it was designed because it marks up the upper.  Better not shoot it then because then there are all kinds of marks. That flimsy piece of garbage charging handle has survived countless trips into areas that men just shouldnt be in but yet people still feel the need to try and make it cooler.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
wow, just freakin wow.  I dont like to charge my weapon the way it was designed because it marks up the upper.  Better not shoot it then because then there are all kinds of marks. That flimsy piece of garbage charging handle has survived countless trips into areas that men just shouldnt be in but yet people still feel the need to try and make it cooler.

Wow, just freakin wow.
I thought I was on a technical forum not the Jerry Springer show.
A person just has to laugh at the ones who think their way is the only way for everyone else.
I have been handling and carrying these weapons for 40 years.
I have never been in nor am I likely to ever be in a situation where I need to slingshot an AR outside of a training course. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
This is normal operation for a AR-15/M16 rifle.  If ya don't want it to mar up the receiver then don't do it.  Just lock the bold hold open and then load a mag.  You will still have wear.  The surfaces of the charging handle will become worn that come in contact with the receiver.  Even if you baby it there will still be wear down to metal.

Most semi automatic weapons will have feeding issues if not fed in a proper abrupt movement.  These are not bolt action rifles where you can gently operate them.  Some examples are the Sten gun and TEC9 and AR15
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I mostly ease the bolt closed, but it is hard to resist playing with the BAD lever.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
If someone kicks in the back door I will load whatever weapon I pick up the fastest way possible.
On the other hand if I hear someone prowling around the yard I will probably chamber a round as quietly as possible.
However I am very unlikely to have to make that choice.
I have been in three declared disaster zones; I can assure you that when the SHTF my only concern about my weapons is keeping them functional.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top