Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2003 4:38:40 AM EDT
 I'm thinking about trying to buy a pre-ban, but don't know much about going about getting one.  I assume its just like getting a post ban, but a good deal more expensive.  How much do they cost now?  Is it possible to get a stripped preban lower, or are they all assembled rifles?  Also, if I were to buy a SBR, how much does this cost every year with the ATF, or is it just a one time payment?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok here goes.
Buying a preban in most areas of the United States is like buying any other type or handgun, rifle or shotgun. And yes they are more expensive. Sometimes the price tags get way out of hand, depending where you are buying it from.
Its possible to get a srtipped preban lower but I hear that, buying a lower receiver like that is iffy. If you do, its best to buy a lower receiver with a telestock on it, so it was in "assault" configuration when you purchased it. If I`m wrong someone here please correct me. You are still better of buying the whole firearm IMHO. Check the serial numbers. Just because the price tag says preban doesn`t mean its definately a preban. I don`t have a link but someone here should.

I`m not 100%, but I think buying a SBR you make a one time payment of $200. Hope this helps.

Edited for spelling 223spree
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok here goes.
If you do, its best to buy a lower receiver with a telestock on it, so it was in "assault" configuration when you purchased it. If I`m wrong someone here please correct me.
View Quote

If the lower is indeed a preban lower it is not subject to the restriction of GCA '94 and therefore does not make a difference whether it was equipped with the stock at time of purchase or not. It can legally be configured this way at any time. But, deffinitly dont rely on it being a preban because it has a telestock on it, definitly check as said 223-
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually in the ATF's current view, it does matter whether it was configured as an Assault weapon prior to 94 or not.  Not that I agree with their interpretation, but their's is the interpretation we have to worry about.  I believe the only exceptions to this would be Colt lowers that are marked AR-15, or those companies which went out of business before the ban came about, in another words, all of their lowers would be preban.

As for the SBR question, yes it's just a one time $200 fee, and will allow you to put any length barrel you like on your registered lower.  Keep in mind, you can SBR a postban lower also....but this doesn't allow you to use banned features, postban SBR's still have to abide by the AWB laws.  So if you want an SBR with flashhider, telestock, etc...it's gotta be a preban.  

Edited to add SBR info.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you serious that I can put a SB on my post ban...that's legal?  I thought they had to be preban, but I suppose the AWB doesn't really specify that it needs to be over 16 inches.  Thats the GCA, right?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#5]
An "SBR" is a one time transfer fee of $200 (Pre & Post still applies).

In CT you CAN NOT buy a preban "Colt AR15 or SP1(Sporter)", but ANY other preban is OK.
Find one for sale, most likely on the internet, make the deal, send the money, have a CT dealer send a copy of his FFL to the seller, he receives it and transfers it to you for a small fee ($25-$30 usually).

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]
imo, it's the wrong time to buy a pre-ban, but that's because i believe the awb is going to sunset (as long as we don't have any more idiots work against us - dc sniper, etc)

what i've been suggesting to my friends is to buy a post-ban lower & a pre-ban upper AND DO NOT PUT THEM TOGETHER!!!!!! come sunset, assemble.  if the oppression continues, you can neuter the rifle yerself, then assemble.  this would give you more options as to what type  of muzzle break you "permanently attach" and would mean yer only missing the bayo lug "wings" and still have a little sticking down for looks (in the event you're forced to go postban).

am i right, here?  i mean: it's assembling a post '94 assault weapon that's illegal, right? not possessing all the parts?

i'm so glad i'm paid to enforce State statutes, they seem to make alot more sense than federal laws.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh isnt still illegal to be in posession of parts that could make a preban like the machine gun rule?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
It is illegal to possess a preban upper and postban lower only (no preban lower).

Normally I would agree with Redneck about waiting for the AWB, but in CT it was already signed into law, even though prices in free states may drop, he may lose the ability to purchase the non-Colt prebans by then... Don't think it will happen??? It just did with AK47's in CT, if you want one - Don't wait, you may regret it.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
So, is there anybody up to speed on CA law?? Can we have a Olympic Arms postban AR of any configuration? or do I need to move??

Thanks for your help

crisco
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top