Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 2:45:56 AM EDT
Hello all. I have a colt match. Im looking to add some optics. I do not know all the terms etc, Im a newbie. I go to the gun shows and dont know if I am dealing with quality, an issue for me. First I want to keep my carry handle, so I will probably want it to mount to it, or on handle but I do not want to look like a super commando with alot of rails etc. I also want a more millitary  look as to a dear rifle scope. I would love to hear your ideas mostly see some pics, maybe some links to some good prices.. Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:51:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Run a search on ACOGs and read the top posts in the forum. They are an excellent choice. Another good choice is an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Grant, is that a preban Colt?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:48:10 AM EDT
[#4]
While you didn't say, if a red-dot type scope is on your wish list this is sweet way to go:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1482[/img]

This is the Aimpoint ML2 on an ARMS #22M68 mount and the ARMS #39A2 gooseneck, it co-witnesses with the standard irons as shown.

Should your taste prefer the EOTech I believe PRI makes a gooseneck mount that allows co-witness of that brand also, (see above).

FWIW, most folks find the standard scope, 3-9X types end up TOO HIGH for a consistent cheek weld when mounted over the A2 carry handle. There are smaller 4X Colt type scopes that fit tighter, but IMO the non-magnified red-dot's speed on target more than makes up for the lack of magnification.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the primary intended purpose of this rifle?  That should help us better answer your question.

I'll go with mr_wilson though on the Aimpoint.  I'm a huge Aimpoint fan and am convinced it is THE best optic (for ME, at least, maybe not for you) up to 150 (maybe even 200) yards.  At 200-yards I'd just transition over to the irons.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Yah, we can be a lot more helpful if you can tell us what you want the rifle to [u]do[/u].  Since you're keeping the carry handle we're assuming you're looking at iron sights for back-up and optics for CQB or long distance work.

Some of us here feel you can come close to getting [i]both[/i] with the Trijicon ACOG series.  I have an ACOG TA31 w/ the "donut" reticle mounted to the carry handle of my Bushmaster.  It does CQB (Close Quarters Battle) work very nicely and, with its 4X magnifcation, makes long distance shooting noticeably easier.  The iron sights are instantly available, too; all you have to do is shift your cheek down on the stock.  Here's the full rig:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=7818[/img]
Still, tell us what you want.  Don't let us babble on about what we like. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I am looking for some X power. Im getting a job with US Customs and moving to south texas soon. So I will be in the field plinking maybe varmits. On the other hand I may be able to use the weapon when we board ships in the gulf for inspections.

I would love a acog but $ 800 bucks is a lot of money right now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You can go with a compact acog for about $550. They have a 3x model that wouldn't be far off of the TA-31. If you have a flattop you might want to consider losing the carry handle and using a arms#40 buis.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately, nobody really makes anything that fills that niche as well as the compact ACOG.  If you try to mount a conventional hunting scope on an AR, you will probably have eye relief and cheek problems (the scope will be too far back and too high).  The BAC feature of the ACOGs make them excellent at short range as well as pretty good at longer ranges.

There are some little 4x scopes that fit in the carry handle, made by Colt and others.  They might work, but some are of low quality.

Hopefully someone else will come out something as nice as the ACOG, perhaps battery powered, and start driving the price down.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can go with a compact acog for about $550. They have a 3x model that wouldn't be far off of the TA-31. If you have a flattop you might want to consider losing the carry handle and using a arms#40 buis.
View Quote

I have a 3x Compact ACOG and find it mounts a little too far forward using the stock carry handle hole.  Drilling a hole a bit further back  in the handle does a lot for improving eye relief.  

The TA-31 doesn't have that issue, and it also has a secondary hole in the bottom of its mount to allow you to mount it forward or back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a 3x Compact ACOG and find it mounts a little too far forward using the stock carry handle hole.  Drilling a hole a bit further back  in the handle does a lot for improving eye relief.  

The TA-31 doesn't have that issue, and it also has a secondary hole in the bottom of its mount to allow you to mount it forward or back.
View Quote

This is your answer... 3X Compact ACOG with red triangle with an extra hole drilled further rear on your carry handle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like Im buying a Acog...
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Who carries the compact ACOG for $550?  I was on Trijicons page and the TA39R-2 lists for $950.00.  I'm hitting some of the dealers I have bookmarked, but no luck so far.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Look in the equipment exchange.  I picked up a used compact ACOG (looked brand spanking new - even had the warrenty card) for less than $600.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Justice,

One alternative is the IOR M2 4x24 with Dragunov or CQB reticle.  It features 6061-T alloy tube, brilliant Schott Germany glass, etched reticles, a bullet drop cam for the .223 out to 800 yards, full reticle illumination, super ruggedness and the look is "all business."  Best of all, you can get it delivered to your door for $319.00, so you could get two for the price of an ACOG. Bushmaster, Brownell's, and DSA sell IOR on their websites...they wouldn't be on there if they weren't good.
Contact me if you have any more questions.

Scott Berish
Liberty Optics
352-572-1469
[email protected]

PS Here's a link
www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03b

Also, they have carry handle mounts and STANAG rings that meld scope and rifle perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the ACOG too... That is just alot of money..

Pat those are nice I will consider the IOR M2 4x24 an option.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top