Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2004 6:27:03 PM EST
Im looking at getting into getting an AR15 but have no clue where to start. What brand/models do you suggest on me looking into i would like to get a model with a shorter barrel. what do you suggest to learn on?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:29:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:32:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 6:33:18 PM EST by knightsar]
KAC,Colt,Bushmaster,RRA,DPMS and ArmaLite . Not necessarily in that order.

IMO
You are on the right site to get help just reserch and ask questions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:34:35 PM EST
I always recommend Colt and ArmaLite, you cant go wrong with either
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:34:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 6:36:07 PM EST by Wampum]
Well thats kinda like saying "I'm new to buying cars, which one should I buy"

I'm pretty new myself and I have been browsing this board for couple months now. Even after spending hours and hours reading countless posts I'm still not sure which i am going to buy. Check it out read as many interesting threads you can, then when you know more ask more specific questions. So far the only thing I have bought is an AMEETEC stripped lower and 10 Labelle Mags, so far so good. THe rest will be pieced together in teh up and coming weeks.

but yeah brands: Rock River Arms, Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite are the brands for the rest of the AR that I'm looking at
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:44:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 6:46:07 PM EST by icantdance]
If you can get a Colt at a decent price, that's what I would choose.

Bushmaster would be my second choice.

You can look up the opinions as new-arguy has stated. You may also note the industry tab to look up the AR manufacture.

Go with factory ammo

And take it easy with the "goodies" at first.

Despite the manifesto here on Colt, I believe Colt to be the best production AR-15 made.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:53:01 PM EST
RRA is great for

performance/
reliability/
price/

Can't go wrong with a Colt of a Bushmaster though

Keep away fomr Olympics
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:25:00 PM EST
I just bought my first AR15 a couple of months back myself. After a lot for research I decided on Bushmaster, and I have never regretted my choice. All of the parts I have added fit perfectly which says alot about Bushmaster's compatibility with other brands.

I got the "M4" model. I do NOT recommend you getting a Bushmaster with a "Y-Comp" or mini Y-comp though. That is a HORRIBLE tip. The first model they have posted (the 16" M4 type with izzy FS) looks real good for a first AR.

The old saying "You get what you pay for" is VERY true when buying an AR15. There are a LOT of brands out there, and some of them come with all sorts of bells and whistles on them for real cheap, making them look like deals. The truth of the matter is they are just gimmicks. On the other hand ther are some brands out there that are "designer" priced, and you can get a gun of another brand that's just as good for less.

Buy a good rifle from the get go. It just doesn't make any sense to buy a cheap one for now to beat up only to get a better one later. You will probably end up buying another AR or 3 later anyway, so why not make them ALL good?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:27:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Atreides:
I just bought my first AR15 a couple of months back myself. After a lot for research I decided on Bushmaster, and I have never regretted my choice. All of the parts I have added fit perfectly which says alot about Bushmaster's compatibility with other brands.

I got the "M4" model. I do NOT recommend you getting a Bushmaster with a "Y-Comp" or mini Y-comp though. That is a HORRIBLE tip. The first model they have posted (the 16" M4 type with izzy FS) looks real good for a first AR.

The old saying "You get what you pay for" is VERY true when buying an AR15. There are a LOT of brands out there, and some of them come with all sorts of bells and whistles on them for real cheap, making them look like deals. The truth of the matter is they are just gimmicks. On the other hand ther are some brands out there that are "designer" priced, and you can get a gun of another brand that's just as good for less.

Buy a good rifle from the get go. It just doesn't make any sense to buy a cheap one for now to beat up only to get a better one later. You will probably end up buying another AR or 3 later anyway, so why not make them ALL good?

Good luck.

You will probably end up buying another AR or 3 later anyway, so why not make them ALL good?

Triple dittos!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:36:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 7:38:56 PM EST by JimGA]

Originally Posted By tusk212:
Im looking at getting into getting an AR15 but have no clue where to start. What brand/models do you suggest on me looking into i would like to get a model with a shorter barrel. what do you suggest to learn on?

Well, you said "to learn on". If you are new to rifle shooting in general, I'd suggest a Ruger 10/22 22.lr semi-auto rifle to start with and learn on. It was my first rifle, and I "learned" on it. Things like trigger and breath control are alot easier to learn on a .22lr than a larger caliber.

As for "this brand" or "that brand" AR, ...most of the big name companies produce good AR carbine rifles. Personally I'd stick with: Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, RRA, not particularily in that order. I have a Bushmaster, and it serves me well. Just try to get one with a chrome lined barrel, it makes cleaning easier, as well as having some other benefits.

BTW, the amount of practice you get with your carbine is MUCH more important than how many accessories or gadgets you can hang off of it.

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:52:20 PM EST
"Can't go wrong with a Colt of a Bushmaster though

Keep away fomr Olympics"

I'm new to AR"s as well, so please fill me in on why we should steer clear of Olympic Arms?
I know of someone who is selling a 20" Oly with a hard case and a 30 round mag for $550...not a good deal?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:02:33 AM EST
if you are looking at factory stock: BUSHMASTER
rra and armalite next

16 in bbl (best velocity and compactness overall); phantom fh
m-4 stock or a2 stock
flatop a3 if you want optic base; regular a2 if ypu want to stay w/ open sights

your own build (not recomended unless you are quite familiar w/ the ar systm firsthand)
mega lower, $89 (carricozarmory.com)
jtdistributing 16in kit
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:27:34 AM EST
It really doesn't matter which one you get first... You'll eventually want all of them anyway....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:39:43 AM EST
I have a few forged Oly lowers and have never had a problem. I also have 2 Bushmasters and a DPMS and a Colt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:24:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By azjeeper:
"Can't go wrong with a Colt of a Bushmaster though

Keep away fomr Olympics"

I'm new to AR"s as well, so please fill me in on why we should steer clear of Olympic Arms?
I know of someone who is selling a 20" Oly with a hard case and a 30 round mag for $550...not a good deal?

Depends on what model Oly it is. My hunch is that, at that price, it's the bottom of the line piece with the cast lower, that has a rendency to break after awhile.

Look, it's not that Olympic, or Model 1, or half a dozen other second tier makers don't ever make a good rifle. Most of the pieces they turn out are just fine, and you'll get a dozen or so people to post here on just about any brand, with reports about how great their XYZ piece is.

The problem is that the second rank makers have such a high percentage of not so fine pieces leave their production line. They use the perchaser as their final production line inspector. This may be OK if you're an experienced AR shooter/owner and can spot the defects before you get the piece; but it can be damned discouraging to a new guy, who thought he was getting a good rifle, and ends up having to send it back to the factory after just getting it.

If I saw an Oly piece at a killer price, I'd consider getting it; but I've been owning, building and shooting ARs and M16s since 1974; so I darn well know what to look for. If I didn't, I'd take the advice of many of the folks on this site and look at Colt first, and Bushmaster second. Probably would also check out Armalite and Rock River. And that's what I'd recommend any newbie to do.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:54:18 AM EST
imho, I'd buy a decent complete A2 lower (my choice RRA with NM trigger or not), then a decent complete A2 20" upper (RRA, LMT, etc.), a few mags, and a military sling in order to start with the basics. Learn how to operate it, clean it properly and completely, and to shoot it properly and safely. Then you could get into the local DCM or Highpower competitions (compete if you want, but mainly to get a little stress and to learn from the more experienced shooters about shooting more effectively; a good group of folks, more than willing to help usually).
You'll either like it and get more involved (more rifles), be satisfied and content with what you have, or not be overly enthused about it, but have a decent rifle that you can sell easily without having a ton of money wrapped up in it. I've seen a lot of guys buy nice stuff, then a year or two later sell it because they don't use it or could use the extra cash.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:29:34 AM EST
The most versitile platform for a new AR shooter is a 16" A3 flattop from a well known manufacturer like Bushmaster, Colt, RockRiver, Armalite etc. The what type of manufacturer is better argument is like the Chevy, Ford, Dodge debate. Stick with a new in box, major name brand and you will be fine. The 16" barrel is relatively lightweight barrel length and the A3 "flattop" upper will allow you to add optics like a head up display (Aimpoint, Eotech, scope). I would not devote too much time to debate type threads about this is better than this or that. AR's are easy to modify if you find that you want to change something at a later date.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:03:53 AM EST
shamayim, according to a link posted in another topic, I was able to determine that the Oly I was speaking of is a forged lower. It's a 20" 1/7 bbl A2 in very clean condition with a hard case and a 30 round USGI mag for $550. I picked it up, if for nothing else to hold me over till my Bushy's get here. I'll take it out and have some fun with it, who knows...maybe it'll be a keeper??
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:30:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By tusk212:

We all have our brand preferences but I have found a great way to get acquainted with them is to attend gun shows, go to gun stores and if you can join a gun club, then hang around the range and mooch off of the other AR15er's. Thats what I did and soon realized that for me it was all about weight. Some like heavier guns I don't. Keep it in mind...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:28:35 PM EST
www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Bushmaster_Sunset_Rifles___Preban_features_.html

Get an A3 as you can then mount whatever you like after scouring the optics forum...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:42:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2004 4:48:17 PM EST by model927]
I would look at Colt,Bushmaster,RRA,Armalite.The colt is a good rifle and evevn though I hate them I wont let that bias play in the quality,its a good rifle only the fire control parts and pins are of larger diameter but Bushmaster sells those parts so they are readily available.I favor Bushmaster as I own 3 of there ARs all carbines.RRA,I use their lower parts and telestocks although the colt Diameter telestock is the spec.I assmebled one of their lowers and an upper for a friend and those parts..the receivers are excellent quality.Armalite also a great rifle I own a full size.The only gripes I have is although armalite and RRA offers chrome lined barrels for certain models only Bushy and Colt use 4150 steel.Colt barrels are way more expensive and now only thier 6400c or law enforcement models come with chrome bores and chambers.The match target models just the chamber.Bushmaster by far the best selection,best price and 4150 steel makes them a hard choice to beat.$400 for a colt assembly $200 for Bushy.Armalite and RRA seem to have the best finish and cleaner machining.I rebarreled my Armalite with a used colt 1/7 barrel my Bushies have a mix of 1/7 and 1/9 made by Bushmaster.CMMG also has 4150 chrome lined barrels that are 1/7.In the end look at them all before making a dercision but with all 4 choices if it were me and they were in the same price range I would pick Bushmaster,more standard features for the money.Colt closest to an M4 but with non standard parts and bad customer service and second ammendment support providing the headaches makes it hard to like them.RRA and Armalite top notch I just like having the better barrel steel although some would argue not as important as long as they are chromelined.My latest Build consisted of a Bushy lower and RRA upper.RRA loer and upper parts including bolt/carrier T handle.A bushy 1/7 14.5/phantom barrel and a colt telestock..other than not having feedramps and select fire I think I came close.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:48:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2004 4:51:16 PM EST by 02Overlander]

You will probably end up buying another AR or 3 later anyway, so why not make them ALL good?

Good luck.

sad but so true, it's inevitable. And just when you think you've got enough you'll find a reason to justify the purchase of yet another. And don't even fool yourself into thinking you'll just get one lower and have multiple uppers. That doesn't work either, some how you'll convince yourself that it's just too much trouble to spend 20 seconds swapping uppers and you then go out and order a complete lower for each upper. This truly is a sickness. I rate it up there with DVD purchases but on a more expensive scale, lol.

oh, go with Bushmaster, Colt, RRA or LMT
All are great and will serve you well.
Just remember, you get what you pay for
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:11:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2004 5:12:20 PM EST by Variablebinary]
I only buy Bushmaster and Olympic Arms. Considered RRA, but have been hearing more and more QC stories since they've gotten more popular after the DEA contract.

As for Olympic, dont worry about it. They make a fine rifle and had only one Cast model in their catalog which has been retired. My CAR97M4 post ban has never jammed, and is just as accurate as my full size Bushy out to 150 yards.

Just make sure you dont buy the OA plinker with a cast lower and you'll be fine
Top Top