Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2014 8:05:34 PM EDT
I've been researching ar's for a little time now and shot a few and have a small understanding of what I want for my first one. I am hoping some of you will be able to tell me pros and cons of what I'm interested in to help me make a choice.

1. Windham Weaponry CDI
2. Stag Arms 3T
3. Bravo Company Recce 16
4. Your suggestions.

I do know that I do not want a fixed front sight, I like the flip up front and back sights with a red dot setup. I'd like to be somewhere between $1000-$1600. I'm going to use this mainly as a range toy/plinker. Hoping I enjoy the platform and will want to build my own for the next 1 or 25. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Daniel Defense is what you want, awesome quality and a fair price . Love my DDM4 V7LW
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
From your list BCM, in general BCM. I have a DD v7 too so you can't go wrong there either.  But for the money BCM products are tough to beat.

ETA welcome to the addiction
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but given your current budget, I would consider going a step up from your first two options.  While both are certainly good rifles, if you're willing to shell out 1000 to 1600 a "higher end" rifle may be had.  DD would be my suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks exactly like what I want. How or why is it better than what I listed.  I ask because I do not know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I would get the windham,   If you read the spec on the metals their guns are made with they are all high quality.  And you can't beat it for the price.

Then you can buy you optics and ammo and have fun.  If it makes you feel better buying a more expensive gun then by all means
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
the BCM Recce 16 or get a DD Version 5.  I've owned a BCM Recce 16 and now I'm selling it because I shot my buddy's DD Version 5 and love it.   However, I'm going to wait for the Version 9 because of the 15 inch rail that was introduced at SHOT show just recently.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the BCM Recce 16 or get a DD Version 5.  I've owned a BCM Recce 16 and now I'm selling it because I shot my buddy's DD Version 5 and love it.   However, I'm going to wait for the Version 9 because of the 15 inch rail that was introduced at SHOT show just recently.
View Quote

Being that the ar platform is completely modifiable you could just buy the new rail.  

PS op,  no matter what gun you buy on that list it will go boom every time,   They will all be very accurate and do exactly that you need them too but cost differently....   No matter what you buy you will most likely mod it to make it your own.

Or build your own from the ground up the way you want it, I've got $1100 into the build below

In the end I guess I'm just saying buy what you like and who cares what others think!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd build one from a quality parts kit and use the money you save to buy ammo. Right now you could get a PSA M4 rifle kit with a Midwest Industries 12" free float rail for $550 plus around $15 shipping. Then you just have to add a lower which could be had from PSA for under $60/shipped plus transfer fees at your dealer. Then add a set of MagPul sights and a decent budget red dot like a Vortex or Primary Arms.  Here's one I put together from PSA parts and I have $899 in to it the way it sits. I bought  the rail afterwards and installed it myself because at the time PSA didn't have any uppers in stock with a rail already installed.

Out of the choices you listed any of them would be great for what you intend to use the gun for. If it was me I'd go with choice 1 or 2 since they will be cheaper and you could spend the extra money on an optic and other acc. Plus if you decide the AR isn't for you and want to sell the gun the Windham and Stag will be easier to sell(even though the BCM is higher quality) than the BCM since everyone has heard of them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
So i think I've now narrowed it down to a choice between the Daniel Defense DDm4v5 or the Rainier Arms Ruc 16. I live within a 1.5 hour drive of rainier arms and they stock both rifles. Was curious to know if anybody could tell me any differences I may not be noticing just looking at the specs. I read somewhere that Rainier uses DD cold hammer forged barrels so why should i not go with the Rainier and get a DD instead? Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top