Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 8:17:16 PM EDT
First off I live in California:
I just got my first Lower, a Vulcan V-15 Pinned Mag. with Bushy LPK.
Is this a good Lower, be honest.  it looks very good, No Machine marks
or rough edges, Good finish.
I now need an Upper, I want Accuracy but cannot afford $600-$800
Is Model 1 or JT good companies with good Upper's. Under $500.00 is my budget.
I would like a Flat Top that is light but again Accuracy is a must, if it can't do MOA I don't want it.
Is there a differance between 5.56 Nato and .223 chamber diminsions.
Thanks in advance.

PS:
I am using the Search feature to.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Is this a good Lower, be honest. it looks very good, No Machine marks

If you like it, and it operates correctly, then your good to go.

I now need an Upper, I want Accuracy but cannot afford $600-$800

Im pretty partial to RRA, but I think what it really comes down to is you get what you pay for.  You could go over to EE (equipment exchange) and check out some new and used stuff.  Buy all the upper parts and put it together yourself (not that complicated).  You would need armorers tools though, if your going to mount your own barrel.  I hear stickman puts whole rifles together pretty darn cheep doing it that way.

Yes there is a difference, but wether you buy a 5.56, .223, or Wylde chanber, both types of rounds will fit.  The difference between .223 and 5.56 ammo is the size of the neck on the casings.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yes there is a difference, but wether you buy a 5.56, .223, or Wylde chanber, both types of rounds will fit.  The difference between .223 and 5.56 ammo is the size of the neck on the casings.  

Now THAT depends on who you ask...  Most will tell you NOT to shoot 5.56 in a .223 because it CAN (not will, but can) cause a dangerous over-pressure situation in your rifle.

It's not hard to just buy 5.56 or Wylde these days and shoot both.

I agree that RRA is a good choice, but definitely NOT from RRA directly.  Buy from one of the board supporting dealers here.  Check the EE, there are several.  Dealer threads are yellow or gold.  

I have no experience with Model1, but have never had to give them a try because I always got such great deals from places like ADCO and Legal Transfers. (listed in alphabetical order)

My personal vote is NOT to try and assemble your own UPPER until after you've decided you're addicted and purchasing all the necessary tools are worth it to you.  Assembling LOWERS on the other hand requires no special tools, so I don't see why not.  Having said that, I do have all the tools, and I do build my own uppers now, but I didn't start that until after I'd bought and sold a half-dozen different Armalite uppers just to get one mid-length barrel I wanted.  It does save a LITTLE money building your own, but I won't use cheap or no-name parts, so I don't save a lot.  Where it really saves big is again, swapping and making mods to your existing uppers.  

P.S. - Welcome to ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]
jt if you're gonna go with a kit.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
First off I live in California:
Is this a good Lower, be honest.  it looks very good, No Machine marks

My Vulcan receiver is a very nice piece, from the same sub-contractor everybody else uses. However, the fixed magazine is/was a serious POS! Mine was actually a USA brand 20rd that had been cut off at ~10rds and had a floorplate tack welded on.
I cut that thing out of there and replaced it with a new Bushmaster 10rd mag.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guy's:
I'm slowly learning alot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top