Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 8:13:46 AM EDT
Hi all.  I am a long time recreational shooter.  I love shooting - I am not the best marksman however I like having the "toys" and "eye candy" as well as functionality available in what I have - even though I may not use it to its max potential.

I am extremely interested in an AR (have been for a very long time) but have never owned one before.  I ultimately want to get 2 and dress them up - a heavy barrel target and a carbine.  I am currently waiting for an Armalite 16inch carbine (A4) however have been waiting several months.  In the meantime I have come across some other stuff and would like any and all advice on which way to go.

I have the opportunity to buy a used Colt HBar Elite c/w 6-24 X 40mm optic, Harris Bi-pod, hard case, 1 mag and sling for  $2000.00 Cdn (thats about $1700.00 USD).  They say it likely has several hundred rounds through it but the dealer assures me it is in premo shape. The exterior of the gun is very clean, no marks or signs of abuse but that can be deceiving I guess.

The other thing that came up was a new Armalite M15(A4)(T) with heavy stainless barrel, 2 stage match trigger, scope mount, sling, 2 mags for $2000.00 Cdn as well.

There are also some new bushy carbines available but they are more money than what I want to spend on a carbine and Colt doesnt export to Canada anymore from what I am led to believe.

My questions are

1) wait for the Armalite carbine (that may never come), buy the Colt, buy the Armalite Target or just get a bushy carbine and go from there?

2) which manufacturer is better or are they all similar?  Good points / bad points.

3) any other advice much appreciated

Thanks for bearing with the long wind hat
Thanks again all.

AP  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont outlaw "guns" - outlaw "outlaws with guns"!!!
Promote responsible gun ownership
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Armalite Colt Bushmaster RRA DPMS Olymipic arms all make good guns. 1700$ is pretty high for a Colt HBAR in the states. What brand of scope does it have what is it worth? I don't know what the prices are like in Canada from what I can gather they are high on Colt AR rifles. If you can get a bushmaster or a Armalite for 800$ I would get one of those rifles instead. then spend the extra money on a scope, trigger, magazines, and ammo

http://www.ellwoodepps.com/used_RIFLE_page_SEMI&SLIDE2.asp

this site has colts for 1799$ and a bushmaster for 779$ -2000$ for used guns
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

The Colt HBar has a Bausch and Lomb scope - dont know what it is worth but they say around $600 Cdn (500 USD).  Colts are not rare here but due to the Colt name and the fact Colt does not import to Canada anymore they are expensive (nostalgia).

I doubt I can get an armalite or Bushy for $800 here (Cdn or USD).  In talking with some dealers and private sellers when u ask if they can lower the price they all answer "dont have to, it will sell to someone else at this price, I cant keep these in stock".  One dealer I was talking with brought in 4 AR targets yesterday (4 months in the waiting) - by the end of the day they had one left!!!  The other problem here is the importers take an obscene cut  which is ultimately dumped on the retail buyer.  

The cheapest I have found in the last 4 months was a new Armalite 16" A4 carbine for 1650 Cdn tax paid (1400 USD).

Leaves me with the question "do I chance a used gun from somewhere"?

Thanks again TRK
AP
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I say go with the Colt, since they are slim to none to find here anymore. I had a LE6920 and regret selling it. AR's are always more here. I paid $1799 CDN + tax for my 6920 back in 2002 from Ellwood Epps.

I would also recommend Stag or RRA as alternatives. Dealers (Questar for RRA and Armseast for Stag) for both can be found at the CGN website.

There is also Dlask as well (since they have CQB options), but I have heard more negs than positives about them about not being milspec.

When I get some funds together, I am definitely going Stag.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

The Colt HBar has a Bausch and Lomb scope - dont know what it is worth but they say around $600 Cdn (500 USD).  Colts are not rare here but due to the Colt name and the fact Colt does not import to Canada anymore they are expensive (nostalgia).

I doubt I can get an armalite or Bushy for $800 here (Cdn or USD).  In talking with some dealers and private sellers when u ask if they can lower the price they all answer "dont have to, it will sell to someone else at this price, I cant keep these in stock".  One dealer I was talking with brought in 4 AR targets yesterday (4 months in the waiting) - by the end of the day they had one left!!!  The other problem here is the importers take an obscene cut  which is ultimately dumped on the retail buyer.  

The cheapest I have found in the last 4 months was a new Armalite 16" A4 carbine for 1650 Cdn tax paid (1400 USD).

Leaves me with the question "do I chance a used gun from somewhere"?

Thanks again TRK
AP

well if thats the case i'd go for it sounds like a good deal I had a Hbar match  target competition and it was a really sweet rifle. Look the gun over take it down check the internal parts/bore and if it looks good I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I think I have made a decision - and ironically it has nothing to do with anything in my original post hock.gif - go figure.

Im gonna get a RRA A4 Varmint 24".  

I have one further question and pardon my ignorance / stupidity but what in the Lord Hell is a 223 Wylde round? and do I want it??? hats
Thanks again all
AP

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Armalite/Colt/Bushy

But Im likeing LMT better and the PR is outstanding!

I own 2 bushwackers very nice accurate never a problem Period!

LMT is more COLT like Specs

Any of them should do well
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I think I have made a decision - and ironically it has nothing to do with anything in my original post - go figure.

Im gonna get a RRA A4 Varmint 24".  

I have one further question and pardon my ignorance / stupidity but what in the Lord Hell is a 223 Wylde round? and do I want it???

Thats what the RRA varmints are chambered for.

Thanks again all
AP

this has a good expaintion of the wylde chamber

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/ar15brands.msnw?pgmarket=en-us
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a RRA 24" varmit and your gonna love the accuracy and hate to carry it.  The .223 wilde chamber is, to my understanding, able to handle .223 rem. and 5.56mm milatary ammo.  If you put a 6-24x or 8-32x scope on it, it's like the target is on the end of the barrel. enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks very much guys.  

Ordered it today - WOOHOO - now the tedious wait hinking.gif

Scooter - R U gettin the 3/4 MOA they advertise?  

Thanks for the link TRK.

Dont outlaw 'guns' - outlaw 'outlaws with guns' because if you 'outlaw guns' only the 'outlaws will have guns'!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top