Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:50:37 AM EDT
I recently acquired my first AR and have a question. Does the bolt overlap the charging handle internally when it ejects the case, or does the handle come back too? I havent had a chance to shoot it yet on account of being very windy and I dont want to waste $15 on range fees for a horrible shooting day, and ive been busy w/ work. It seems to me if the handle came back too, it would hit me in the face, which is why I would be shocked if it came back too. Ive obviously never fired an AR so I dont know yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Charging handle stays put when you're shooting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#2]
If it comes back, let us know!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Haha man that would be interesting to see.

If you look at the charging handle, its basically hollow.  The gas key slides along the groove inside.

If you notice, there is a latch on the left side of the cahrging handle.  Take a good look at how it attaches to the upper. It's impossible for it to move without depressing the latch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Post pics too!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
CH will not move; you will hear a 'spoing' noise in the buttstock, dont worry--its just the buffer spring
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen people who didn't have the charging handle "locked in place" come back in there face. They only do 1 time. Make sure it caught.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I took the whole week off (13th through the 19th) so I should be able to figure out he basics of the good ol' AR-15. And it's spring break for college. So I will have plenty of range time. Thanks for the info on the charging handle, and pics will come asap. It is a Standard A4 with a detachable A2 carry handle from RRA. Iam pleased so far. Very good looking rifle, we'll see after 500+ rounds. Any suggestions on ammo, I have 100 rounds of Winchester HP (45 grain.) so far for overpriced.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#8]
gator, take a look at the flash view of the AR15 cycle.

click HERE for the M4 cycle animation - courtesy Biggerhammer.net

This gives you a good perspective on what is happening inside your gun. Note the animation shows a fully automatic version that contains some fire control parts that yours does not, but that is all trigger/hammer/sear related.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The ammo you have is not ideal.

Too light, but for paper-punching and getting to know your gun, its OK.

Look through the AMMO section here on AR15.com and do some reading for where, what, why, and how much,  on choices

Congratulations on your new rig, and welcome aboard!  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top