BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 9:45:26 AM EDT
I just got my first AR-15 and I am wondering what I should upgrade and what accessories to buy (grips, sling, etc.).  What do ya'll think is good for a starter?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there anything you don't like about it that you want to change?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Start with taking classes, that will let YOU know what you need to upgrade.  I've found no matter what people tell me, class time is the answer for my needs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd honestly get some mags and a bunch of ammo, and maybe a sling to start with. After you shoot it for a while you'll get a pretty good idea of what would make it work better for you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  But I do not know what to look for, so I figured there might be some things that make a big difference.  I already have a scope and MBUS so I feel like I am set besides buying more magazines and more ammo, lots more
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd honestly get some mags and a bunch of ammo, and maybe a sling to start with. After you shoot it for a while you'll get a pretty good idea of what would make it work better for you.
View Quote

What sling do you recommend?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Start with taking classes, that will let YOU know what you need to upgrade.  I've found no matter what people tell me, class time is the answer for my needs.
View Quote

What kind of classes?  I bought this gun mostly for home defense (and range shooting) and I don't think there are classes for that?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Midway usually has some cheap but decent slings for about $5 but they're out of stock .

To echo the others, get mags and ammo and shoot the heck out of it. The AR-15 is a very decent rifle even bare-bones stock, but there are ways to improve it for certain situations. Just depends on what you want to use it for and what, if any, features or lack of features bug you.

For me, about the only thing I'd change on a basic rifle is to make sure it has ambi selector and charging handle, and has a sling. Anything beyond that is for more specialized use IMO. Better barrel and BCG for bench shooting, better trigger for match shooting, possibly an optic, etc. But the trick is to pick one direction and go for it, you don't want to have one rifle be everything and have eighteen pounds of accessories hanging off your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What kind of classes?  I bought this gun mostly for home defense (and range shooting) and I don't think there are classes for that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take a carbine class that shows you how to handle the weapon in the same manner a home defense situation may require. I learned very quickly in my class that things like my choice of grip or sling positioning was not ideal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Take a carbine class that shows you how to handle the weapon in the same manner a home defense situation may require. I learned very quickly in my class that things like my choice of grip or sling positioning was not ideal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here with the sling. I used to use a single point and swapped to a two point halfway through day 1 of an EAG class. For my home defense rifle, I have a sling, weapon light, RDS/BUIS', and suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#10]
It depends, if its a colt you dont have to upgrade anything.  If its a psa, upgrade it to a colt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nope.  But I do not know what to look for, so I figured there might be some things that make a big difference.  I already have a scope and MBUS so I feel like I am set besides buying more magazines and more ammo, lots more
View Quote

It would help to know exactly what you have to start with. It is hard to make any recommendations based on nothing to go by. Additionally, what is the purpose for your AR? Have you already purchased additional magazines? Ammo? What is your experience level with the AR platform? Accessorizing an AR is based on the purpose for which you intend on using it. Anything you do to it should be purposeful and functional based on the intended use. I would start with buying enough magazines to have at least five 30-rounders on hand. I also would work on accumulating at least 1000 rounds of 5.56 NATO (M193 and/or M855) to keep on hand. You may even want to buy some 77gr. OTM (similar to Mk262) ammo as well for special occasions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#12]
My advice is put some rounds through it and focus on reliability and ergonomics. Find an ammunition and magazines that feed reliably and get parts to improve ergonomics. I know I immediately changed out the A2 pistol grip after the first trip to the range, through in an ambidextrous selector switch to deal with me being a lefty and I found a Magpul stock and sling that made shooting significantly easier and more enjoyable. That's just my two cents of course.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Upgrade your amount of ammo

get a good sling, like a bfg, magpul, or vtac

Get a good light if this is a h/d rifle

Shoot it alot with irons till you are comfortable, and then look at optics
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#14]
OP....if you're using it for home defense, you're going to want to get a weapon mounted light.

In terms of upgrades...the single best upgrade you can do IF you don't like your current trigger (too heavy?  too light?  too rough?) is to replace it.  87% of Arfcom prefers Geissele triggers, although very nice triggers are also made by Timney, and the new up & comer: The LaRue Tactical MBT.  All are guaranteed not to disappoint.

Far more controversial of an upgrade, would be a bolt release assist device, such as Magpul's BAD lever, or the Phase 5 EBRV.   I say controversial because those who are military trained usually eschew them because it's not part of the traditional manual-of-arms.  However, for those of us that are not Tier-1, they are VERY handy devices to simplify the operation of the AR.  I have them on ALL of my AR's...as do many others here.  You will get a mixed assortment of opinions on this one....but I still highly recommend for a new user especially.

Meanwhile - post pics of your new stick!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It depends, if its a colt you dont have to upgrade anything.  If its a psa, upgrade it to a colt.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#16]
OK first ignore all previous advice second go to cheaperthandirt.com sort by brand and buy everythithing that says utg
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Ammo, mags, sling, explore optics and anything your heart so desires that you want to change.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK first ignore all previous advice second go to cheaperthandirt.com sort by brand and buy everythithing that says utg
View Quote

Probably not the best thing to say to a guy getting into ar's
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You must be mistaken, this isn't GD
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP....if you're using it for home defense, you're going to want to get a weapon mounted light.

In terms of upgrades...the single best upgrade you can do IF you don't like your current trigger (too heavy?  too light?  too rough?) is to replace it.  87% of Arfcom prefers Geissele triggers, although very nice triggers are also made by Timney, and the new up & comer: The LaRue Tactical MBT.  All are guaranteed not to disappoint.

Far more controversial of an upgrade, would be a bolt release assist device, such as Magpul's BAD lever, or the Phase 5 EBRV.   I say controversial because those who are military trained usually eschew them because it's not part of the traditional manual-of-arms.  However, for those of us that are not Tier-1, they are VERY handy devices to simplify the operation of the AR.  I have them on ALL of my AR's...as do many others here.  You will get a mixed assortment of opinions on this one....but I still highly recommend for a new user especially.

View Quote

I am at work right now, I will post pictures now and reply to all of ya'll later :)

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am at work right now, I will post pictures now and reply to all of ya'll later :)
http://i58.tinypic.com/2el42hj.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2iqfkh0.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not add a thing to the AR. It is set up pretty complete as is. If you are going to do any amount of bench shooting, you may want to get a good bipod (like a Harris) and bipod adapter to use when you want/need to. Other than that, more magazines and ammo as I recommended in my earlier post.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this is a home defense rifle, then sell the scope, buy an Aimpoint PRO, buy a Surefire in whatever flavor you like, and spend the rest of your funds on ammo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VCAS or VTAC

I prefer the padded VCAS.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, don't listen to either of these posters. This is not the right time or place for their sarcasm.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just got my first AR-15 and I am wondering what I should upgrade and what accessories to buy (grips, sling, etc.).  What do ya'll think is good for a starter?
View Quote

Picture? Configuration? Lots of ARs under the sun....

if its a stock/glacier handguard then i would dump that first

if you have a fixed front sight, i would get a Blitzkrieg Components chevron sight

then i would start assessing what kind of optic you want....red dot vs scope mostly

then a sling/mags/ammo/training

then a weaponlight

Edited once i saw photos OP posted.....

I would get an angled foregrip (magpul, fortis, BCM)
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
First AR? That's easy. You want to replace:
The stock,buffer tube,bcg,upper receiver,barrel assy,hand gaurd,sights,optic,flash hider,trigger group,lower receiver,grip and all your mags and ammo. Replace them all two or three more times and keep the old parts assembled so they don't get lost. Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OP, don't listen to either of these posters. This is not the right time or place for their sarcasm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I knew the utg was sarcasm, that stuff is basically for airsoft guns
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Since you said this is for HD I would either add a piggybacked mini red dot to the scope rings, or an offset mini red dot. I'm not sure what the variability is on that scope, but it's going to be useless for in the home HD.

I would also recommend a weaponlight.

Besides that, sling, mags, ammo, and training.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Since you said this is for HD I would either add a piggybacked mini red dot to the scope rings, or an offset mini red dot. I'm not sure what the variability is on that scope, but it's going to be useless for in the home HD.

View Quote

Oh yeah, the scope is on because I am going to the range tomorrow and I need to site it in because I am going hunting!  I normally will store the gun with that off.  Since I am colorblind I am doing my best to find some sort of sight (red dot or acog) that works for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, the scope is on because I am going to the range tomorrow and I need to site it in because I am going hunting!  I normally will store the gun with that off.  Since I am colorblind I am doing my best to find some sort of sight (red dot or acog) that works for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure.  For in the home HD with BUIS all you will really need to do is point with the front sight if you don't have time to line up the rear with it, and rounds will still be on target at those distances. So I think you'll be good there.

I would say you definitely need a weaponlight though. Most break ins occur either when you aren't home, or at night. So you'll need to be able to see.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

VCAS or VTAC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VCAS or VTAC

Another vote for VCAS here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Welcome.  Enjoy you new AR.

Looks like you've already installed a scope and Magpul folding backup sights.  The scope mount is not QD.   When you remove it, it will not go back to zero without having to shoot some ammo to resight it.  You are about to find this out on your own.  If you truly want this rifle for HD, then you will either need true return to zero QD mounts for the scope and remove it when indoors or when doing tactical training, or get some offset iron sights, like the Magpul offset MBUS Pros.

You would be better served for HD with a decent red dot.  The tried and true for HD is the Aimpoint Pro.  There are lower priced decent red dots that could serve for HD in a pinch, but are not duty grade.  Given your choice of rifle, I would assume you can swing an Aimpoint T-1 or T-2 microdot, which would be better.

Is there a front QD attachment point on the monolithic rail?  I can't tell from the photo.  If so, the Magpul MS4 sling might be a good basic choice.  It can be run in either two point or one point.

Really, I would slow down and spend some time with the rifle.  Buy more ammo and practice, train.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Looks like you've already installed a scope and Magpul folding backup sights.  The scope mount is not QD.   When you remove it, it will not go back to zero without having to shoot some ammo to resight it.  You are about to find this out on your own.  If you truly want this rifle for HD, then you will either need true return to zero QD mounts for the scope and remove it when indoors or when doing tactical training, or get some offset iron sights, like the Magpul offset MBUS Pros.

You would be better served for HD with a decent red dot.  The tried and true for HD is the Aimpoint Pro.  There are lower priced decent red dots that could serve for HD in a pinch, but are not duty grade.

Is there a front QD attachment point on the rail?  I can't tell from the photo.  If so, the Magpul MS4 sling might be a good basic choice.  It can be run in either two point or one point.

Really, I would slow down and spend some time with the rifle.  Buy more ammo and practice, train.
View Quote

There is not a QD attachment, how would I go about mounting a two point sling?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be better served for HD with a decent red dot.  The tried and true for HD is the Aimpoint Pro.  There are lower priced decent red dots that could serve for HD in a pinch, but are not duty grade.

Is there a front QD attachment point on the rail?  I can't tell from the photo.  If so, the Magpul MS4 sling might be a good basic choice.  It can be run in either two point or one point.

You can get a QD sling attachment point that will fit onto your hand guard rail...then you can use that, and the stock QD attachment point for 2-point.  Alternatively, you can get an end plate for your receiver that has a QD point built in, and then you'd have the option for 1 or 2-point.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I use this:

Magpul RSA - QD

I have it on the top rail right behind the folded front sight.  You do not have any room up there unless you can add a modular mini-rail up there.  See below.

And i'll bet you will need to move that scope forward a good bit from its present location.

EDIT:   POF uses a higher than normal rail, so I'm not sure the Magpul MBUS sights will line up properly with your stock for cheek weld.  They may be too high.  POF has its own accessories for that rail and lower height back up signts.   Those accessories also include rail slots and direct attachment QD mount, if you are so inclined.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#36]
IMO a light is a big priority for an HD gun. It helps prevent you from making a huge mistake. I like the Streamlight TLR-1 HL myself. There are more and less expensive lights but I trust this one enough to have a couple of them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Start here and here first.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I reccomend four  things.

1. A QD mount for your scope (LaRue, ADM, etc) so you can take it on / off without losing zero.
2. An EoTech optic. I love my 512. Aim point and similar designs have the tunnel vision effect for me however YMMV and I can appreciate the ruggedness of the aimpoint.
3. An Elzetta Flashlight. You can snag them on amazon for around 100-150$  And they are nearly impossible to kill.
4. Check out Boonie Packer slings. They are a lot more reasonably priced than other options and are an excellent American made option.

Other than that mags ammo and range time. One day you might want a chest rig or something similar but this will get you started. Enjoy your new gun
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Ammo and trigger time and a decent sling. Blue force baca and magpul ms3 or 4 would be a good place to start.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1. A QD mount for your scope (LaRue, ADM, etc) so you can take it on / off without losing zero.
2. An EoTech optic. I love my 512. Aim point and similar designs have the tunnel vision effect for me however YMMV and I can appreciate the ruggedness of the aimpoint.
3. An Elzetta Flashlight. You can snag them on amazon for around 100-150$  And they are nearly impossible to kill.
4. Check out Boonie Packer slings. They are a lot more reasonably priced than other options and are an excellent American made option.

Other than that mags ammo and range time. One day you might want a chest rig or something similar but this will get you started. Enjoy your new gun
View Quote

How does a QD mount help keep zero? I assumed that the only benefit was being about to take it off quickly, which is why I did not spend the extra money on it...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#41]
First, shoot it a bunch. Get plenty of ammo and mags. Get a good sling.

Once the basics are out of the way, and you've shot it enough to get used to it, I'd get a weapon light and then an optic of some kind. If the carbine is intended for home defense use, a weapon light is extremely important, and a high quality red dot works okay for medium range shooting and is excellent for short range shooting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some thing like this just throw on a sling.
" />
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#43]
If your going to use an AR for home defense, I would seriously look into getting a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How does a QD mount help keep zero? I assumed that the only benefit was being about to take it off quickly, which is why I did not spend the extra money on it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically, a quality QD Mount (see LaRue Tactical) allows for a REPEATABLE mounting tension between the optic mount and the rifle's rail.  This allows for removal and replacement with a minimal zero shift of less than 1 MOA.  A screwed on mount is rarely, if ever, going to be even close to that unless you get the screw tension to match exactly each time....especially not easy to do if you were to find yourself in the middle of a gun fight.

ETA:  View this link for more detailed info on QD repeatability
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#45]
upgrades...
your ammo and magazine stash....
shoot the hell out of it and then replace what breaks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The opposing, mating surfaces and clamping mechanisms are precision machined to very exact specifications and  tolerances, so that they return to exactly the same position and same tension, once set, time after time.

LaRue, ADM and Bobro are the leaders in this, and yes, they permit return to zero when re-attached to well under 1 MOA, typically under 1/2 MOA.  It is not the quickness in which they can be removed (anyone can stick a lever on a mount), but rather the extra time and machine work involved in the precision construction, that is important.  And the levers lock in place with some sort of "safety", that must be pushed or pulled separately (depending on manufacturer's engineering choice) to open the lever, so that it does not release except intentionally.

This attention to detail raises cost.  But, if the rifle is to serve double duty with both a scope and a red dot being swapped on the top rail depending on the mission, and each hold zero, the extra cost is worth it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, give that mount you've got a try.

I bet it'll hold zero a lot better than most folks think.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top