Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2008 2:19:12 PM EDT
Well.  Here's my current options I have locally (rural area).

One shop in a town about 18 miles away:

*Can build an AR for me (DPMS) in the $850 range.
*Has a nice AK for $540

Another shop 22 miles away has the following:

*Colt AR for $1k (very nice looking tho, flat top with adj. stock)
*AK .223 setup for $450 (very nice condition as well, very well taken care of)
*Sig .223 two of them for $1300 each (awesome and mint condition)

The Colt was beautiful but I wouldn't mind saving the cash and get a DPMS built if I was to go AR route, but honestly, I'd like to find an AR used in the $650 range but around here, not sure where else to look.

Lastly, how do I know if the AR there has a chrome barrel or not?  I could ask but then I have to trust and I'd rather be edumacated on it a little first.

Thanks,
Scott

PS - Currently have a Tapco setup SKS, several Rem 700s, a plethora of shotguns and an old Springfield 1903.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful when trying to recognize a chrome bore.

I bought a DPMS carbine at a gunshow.  Three separate guys from the dealer told me the bore was chromed.  We even field stripped it and looked down the chamber and it appeared chromed.  Later I checked with DPMS and learned my rifle only has a chrome chamber!  The dealer didn't return my calls...

I otherwise like the rifle.  I plan to shoot it as is and replace the barrel with a chome bore when necessary.  A new upper may be in store as well.

DPMS stamps their barrels as "chrome lined" if it is.  Other makes don't, which makes it tough.  You may want to call the manufacturer before buying and ask them how to tell if the bore is chromed...perhaps serial numbers or some other method is used.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
Be careful when trying to recognize a chrome bore.

I bought a DPMS carbine at a gunshow.  Three separate guys from the dealer told me the bore was chromed.  We even field stripped it and looked down the chamber and it appeared chromed.  Later I checked with DPMS and learned my rifle only has a chrome chamber!  The dealer didn't return my calls...

I otherwise like the rifle.  I plan to shoot it as is and replace the barrel with a chome bore when necessary.  A new upper may be in store as well.

DPMS stamps their barrels as "chrome lined" if it is.  Other makes don't, which makes it tough.  You may want to call the manufacturer before buying and ask them how to tell if the bore is chromed...perhaps serial numbers or some other method is used.

Good luck.

thanks for the info.  this Colt was very sweet and I'm going back tomorrow to check it out a little further.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top