Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 10:10:17 PM EDT
Hi all.  I'm not exactly a stranger to firearms over the last 40+ years, but I just got my first AR (Bushy XM15 E2S) and decided I'd better join this forum.  Tons of info, and I'm working on it...

Anyway, I have a question.  When I pull back the charging handle (without depressing the bolt catch), the bolt locks back but the charging handle just stays back where I pulled it out.  The charging handle just remains loose and can be moved forward or backward with no resistance.  Is this how it's supposed to function?

I did some basic disassembly/reassembly, and just want to make sure I didn't screw anything up.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
That is normal.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It is the movement of the Bolt carrier which returns the Charging handle to its latched postion.

Remove the mag, release the bolt catch - it will go back where it belongs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello,

Welcome to the site.  I hope you enjoy your new AR.  I am still a newbie myself.  As for your question,  you manually have to press the charging handle back in with the bolt locked back.

Happy shooting...

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the (empty) mag out and try again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
yep 100% normal

like they said, take out the emply clip then try it ;)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Clip? Im supposed to have a clip in this gun? Imean, I knew I needed a Mag, but a clip too?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Clip? ... I knew I needed a Mag, but a clip too?
View Quote

Yes, those little slightly curved pieces of metal that hold 15 rounds of ammo.  And you'll also need the clip adaptor so you can easily attach both to the Magazine and push down on the ammo to quickly load the magazine....

All in jest....  [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Just don't put the clip in the gun, magazine only.

But seriously - beware of the little brass tabs which tend to break off on the stripper clips.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome a board[wave]
You can just push the charging handle forward till it locks, if you wish to keep the bolt open.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#10]
15 round clips?

I've only seen 10 round clips.

Do they (you know, whoever they is) make 15 rounders?

Where can I get some?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Must have been using pre ban clips.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I was just joking guys, I know not to put the stripper clips in the rifle, sheesh
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hi all.  I'm not exactly a stranger to firearms over the last 40+ years, but I just got my first AR (Bushy XM15 E2S) and decided I'd better join this forum.  Tons of info, and I'm working on it...

Anyway, I have a question.  When I pull back the charging handle (without depressing the bolt catch), the bolt locks back but the charging handle just stays back where I pulled it out.  The charging handle just remains loose and can be moved forward or backward with no resistance.  Is this how it's supposed to function?

I did some basic disassembly/reassembly, and just want to make sure I didn't screw anything up.  Thanks for any help.
View Quote

TWO things:

One, welcome, and it's so great that you posted!  I am an old-timer with a total of 36 whopping posts!  Seriously, there are "Post Patrols" here who seem to value what you type only by how many posts you've made.  I don't quite get that, as any idiot could post a billion dumb things and that wouldn't make them any smarter.  YOUR first post though is a good question and here's my answer:

Two,  Like everyone's saying, it's totally normal, however there IS a good use for having the charging handle in it's hanging, pulled-back configuration.  At the range I shoot at, before we all can change our targets, we need to place our weapons on the tables, facing down range with the bolt's open.  In order to make the job easier for the rangemaster while he's walking by (with all of us behind the RED line) I eventually turned my AR15 on it's side so it was easy for him to see that the bolt was open.  Well, he ALSO seemed to want to make sure, and he'd literally pull my (and other AR owner's rifles) charging handle back as well.  I eventually would open the bolt (pull the charging handle) and leave the charging handle in the pulled-back position.  Of course tilting my AR15 to the left to show the open chamber.

By the way, MY new Busy is also an XM15-E2S, but there are many different kinds.  Do you have a web server where you could put a picture and then post the link here (click on "Board Code") so we could see your new rifle?

Here's mine..  a stock M4-type with A2 Upper & Fixed telestyle stock (Exactly what I wanted.)
[img]http://www.anthonyjosephevans.com/gun/IM000428.JPG[/img]

Anthony
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top