Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2011 8:59:59 AM EDT
Haven't built a new AR in a while, so i decided its time, after I sell an upper. I pretty much know how im going to build it, but i need some opinions on a handguard. Im deciding between a Troy VTAC TRX battlerail or the Samson Evolution. Any thoughts/opinions? I was leaning toward the VTAC since it seems to be more popular until i saw the samson. Any help would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:16:35 AM EDT
I have had the TRX and it was a very nice rail
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:27:48 AM EDT
I have the knights armament and I like it.  Always had em on our M-4's and A-4's.  They took a beating but never cracked.  The rail covers would ocassionaly fall off but nothing earth shatering.  Chris
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:35:39 AM EDT
I have both and equally great products. Very similar in the weight department (both light)

Troy VTAC TRX Extreme - nice and thin. Cannot mount to a standard barrel nut if you already have that on. Needs a proprietary wrench (see picture below (not my pic)). Some units come with it and some do not. That may have changed since I got mine a year ago.  opted for the slotted look instead of the circular cutouts from Troy's regular TRX Extreme offering.

Samson Evolution

I got a Rainier specific one (12").  Looks to be more modular/flexible as you can buy extensions.  Can attach to the standard barrel nut and has a QD sling mount.

Did not see that it was available on Troy's site.  Noveske makes QD sling mount for the non VTAC TRX Extreme rail though.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:11:57 AM EDT
I had the VTAC version of the Troy and have the Rainier version of the Samson.  Out of the two I prefer the Samson for the simple fact that it uses the stock barrel nut and to me it feels more comfortable in my hands.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2011 1:13:56 PM EDT by smokingun45]
IMO, TROY all the way. I have several, and mine came with everything needed to install, including the wrench, barrel nut and 3 rail sections. I prefer the one with slots, but the cheese grater one is nice as well. You will need a lo-pro gas block, and Troy sells a nice one as well. I like the fact that you loosen 2 allen screws, give it a little twist and off it comes. Super easy to install.

One of my Troy V-TACS came without the 3 rail sections. A quick call to Allyson Rainelli at TROY customer service and 6 rail sections came in the mail, N.C. She was sooo nice! Very easy company to deal with.

FWIW&WYPFI. my perception of MASSholes has changed. At least there are some good people behind enemy lines.   YMMV

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:20:57 PM EDT
I like the troys.  I've had nothing but good luck with their rails.  
Top Top