Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2003 6:09:06 PM EDT
ok i applied for my permits they said 60-90 days so now im researching the guns i want to get. First im interested in an AR-15, I have been reading and so far my choice is leaning towards the Bushmaster due to its reasonable prices and i have heard "You cant go wrong." Dont know what options yet but i know i want a 16" barrel, flat rail for scopes and be able to put many options on it. Please guide me into the right direction.....thanks

Next, for a handgun im looking at the HK .45 compact. This gun is my favorite so far. Any options are welcome.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I always ask prospective AR buyers to try and look at what kind of shooting you plan to do, the 16" will be fine for closer in fun! If going with a flat top it looks like you are going to put optics on it, have you decided what type you will get?

Have you looked into the Rock River Arms?

There are plenty of upgrades and accessories for your new AR, and the fun of an AR is removing two pins and putting on a new upper gives you a completely different rifle.

Good luck!
Robert

www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not decided which optics to get i dont know much about them im researching at the moment. Any help would be great!!! I do not want something cheap then have to buy a better one. I would like to learn more about the benefits between the uppers. Im gonna have the basic 16" upper and then buy a new 20" for long range. If that sound correct?
I will look into Rock River....
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I would order seeing as how its only post ban you could get a bushmaster flat top tele syle permanently open stock and a 16",I have a heavy on my bushy,Heavy,M4 type or super light,wich ever you choose you can send the upper to Kurts Kustom FireArms and he can put on a fake flash supressor or Rock River does a pressed on one pressed on behind the muzzle about 1/8 of an inch to give the barrel a crown giving the M4 look but its realy a 16" barrel,thats what I did to my post ban fixed handle post bushy M4 and I have an 11 year old preban carbine and they look similar except the post ban stock cant close and I have a phantom suppressor    on my 14.5 HBAR.For pistols Im a 1911 guy,easy to use plentiful spare parts and like the AR cheap to maintain.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Its hard to understand your talk Im new here so i dont understand much about the abreviations
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry didnt mean to barrage you,The HBAR is a heavy diameter barrel about 1lb heavier than what the military would use for a 20" barrel or 14.5" M4 type and an M203 wouldnot fit it,the M4 type is a lighter weight barrel machined to accept the M203 grenade launcher,the light weight is what is called a "pencil barrel"because it is thin like the old M16a1 barrels and is the lightest of all 3,all three are offered on post ban bushmaster rifles in the carbine leghnth you are looking for,Kurts custom and Rock River have muzzle devices that give the look of a real flash supressor it its the military look you want.and you can have a 14.5" barrel with permanent fake suppressor to bring it to the legal 16" if you are trying to get the rifle the closest you can to the specification of a real M4.The permanently open stock does not colapse,if you want the carbine look,or you can have a standard stock or the shorter stubby stock and a tubular Ace stock these are all options when you order your rifle,If you want a fake muzzle device for look get the barrel crowned with no brake on it,go to www.bushmaster.com and check out the examples they have there.A 1911 is the old US ARMY .45 AUTO my favorite,but the H&K is also a very good pistol,my buddy has a USP .45,graet pistol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You’ll find a lot of different views here.  You’ll ultimately have to figure out what YOU want after wading through all sorts of conflicting opinions.

Personally, I like the mid-length handguard for a 16-inch barrel.  I believe only Armalite and Rock River Arms sell these.

I intensely dislike muzzle brakes – they look cool, but they redirect the muzzle blast back towards you.

I (like most folks here) much prefer a 5.56 chamber to a .223 chamber.  Same with chrome plated chamber and bore.

As far as the H&K USPC .45, it is an excellent firearm, especially if you’re looking to carry it.  It is a bit bulky, though.

However, if you’re looking just for something to shoot at the range, you might like a 1911 better – the H&K’s trigger isn’t nearly as good as a decent 1911’s.

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
He’s doomed any way you look at it.
And he’ll enjoy every last second of it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:14:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Bushmaster 16" dissapator with an A2 stock.It has a full length hand guard and handles and shoots great.The full lenght handguard lets it cool quicker. No flash supressor on it. I also have a Bushmaster 20" barrel with a flat top that I mount a scope and bipod on for target shooting.Just push out the take down pins and mount the other upper ontop of the lower unit, and presto a differnt rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top