Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 9:35:51 AM EDT
Building up a couple rifles, and having a problem that I seemed to have narrowed down to two brand new charging handles I bought. These are going in two new A4 uppers. Both exhibit significant drag or binding when they're pulled back, and sometimes can even hold open even against the buffer spring pressure.

Replacing either charging handle with one from another rifle that works perfectly, eliminates the problem. And, putting the bad handles into the good rifle, I get the same binding then. So I've definitely narrowed it down to the charging handle.

I can put up a couple pics later, after I get the camera thawed from sitting in my trunk, to show a slight difference I noticed in the old vs. the new ones. The forward tip where the gas tube goes thru, on the old one, looks to be a perfect 90° angle. The new ones seem like the bottom of that tip is pulled forward a little bit.

My question is... is this common for new charging handles to have this binding and does it work itself out after X amount of time, or is it a manufacturing error with these handles and I should just replace them?

edit to add photos:

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
A while back someone posted pictures of a charging handle that  was too short on the front portion top to bottom. I think it was causing binding on theirs also. It was catching on the front of carrier at the wrong location.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Charging handle end should be a straight 90*, hence the bent ones are defective units.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Where did they come from?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Where did they come from?

Bought 'em at a gun show. Looking at them now, they seem to have stress cracks at the end where they're deformed. Aside from that they look brand spanking new. I got hold of the seller and he said just bring 'em back and we'll go from there. Hopefully we'll figure it out in the next day or two. Thanks j3 and Dano523
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top